Tagged: ,

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author

Lentil Soup

Description—
      Lentils make a thick, rich and delicious soup. They’re also a good source of fiber. Serve with bread and a salad, this soup makes a whole meal. On a cold night, a filling soup like this is perfect nourishment for warming body and soul. Oh so good.

Ingredients:
      1 pound lentils
      1 bay leaf
      3 large carrots, peeled and sliced
      2 stalks celery, chopped
      1 large onion, chopped
      2 cups crushed tomatoes (fresh or canned)
      Salt and pepper to taste

Instructions:
      1. Pick over lentils to remove any stones, dirt, or other foreign objects. Rinse them well in cold water and place in a large pot with enough cold water to cover lentils by 6 inches. Add the bay leaf.

2. Bring to a boil, skim off foam, lower heat, and boil gently, partially covered, until lentils are just tooth-tender, 20-30 minutes.

3. Add carrots, celery, and onion to the lentils. Cook partially covered till carrots are tender, about 20-30 minutes.

4. Add crushed tomatoes, and salt and pepper to taste. Simmer, partially covered, until lentils become very creamy and soft. Stir occasionally and add boiling water if necessary to prevent sticking.

5. Remove bay leaf before serving.

I love to make lentils to serve over rice! I always add cumin & a packet of Sazon Goya. It is SOOOO delicious! And the smell is incredible! 🙂

Oh, lentils are also wonderful because they don’t have to be soaked like most other beans! So you can make them spur of the moment. (You don’t have to soak them for hours! 🙂 )

@rtebalt 89015 wrote:

I love to make lentils to serve over rice! I always add cumin & a packet of Sazon Goya. It is SOOOO delicious! And the smell is incredible! 🙂

I’ll have to try the lentils this way..Lentils I have found out, are good just about anyway you fix them.

I LOVE lentils! Anyone tried Egyptian Kosherie? It’s Egyptian fast food, and it makes a lot. Yum!

My 20 month old loves our lentil soup/stew that we make. The tomatoes or tomato sauce is what brings it all together, I think. We load in a bunch of fresh veggies and toss in some seasonings (whatever we have on hand) and voila! we have a yummy meal that even the toddler enjoys.

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.