Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author

lemon meringue cupcakes are absolutely awesome and are the perfect serving size summer dessert. oh my, have you ever seen anything so delicious looking, ever?!

these are a family favorite and my most requested recipe during our family reunion, i usually make 4-5 dozen of them, lol. For the best meringue, make sure your whites are room temperature.

Lemon Filling:
      3 egg yolks (reserve whites for meringue)
      3/4 cup granulated white sugar
      3 tbsp. all-purpose flour
      pinch of salt
      3 tbsp. lemon juice
      2 tbsp.

lemon zest, loosely packed
      1/2 cup water
      2 tbsp. unsalted butter, melted

Cupcakes:
      1/2 cup unsalted butter
      1 cup sugar
      2 eggs
      3 tbsp. lemon juice
      2 tsp. baking powder
      1 tsp.

salt
      1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour

Meringue:
      3 egg whites
      pinch of salt
      1/4 cup sugar

How to Make the Filling:
      In small saucepan over low heat, whisk egg yolks, sugar, flour, and salt; whisk in lemon juice, lemon zest, water, and melted butter; increase heat to medium and, whisking constantly, cook until lemon filling is smooth and thick, about 7 minutes; remove from heat and set aside

Heat oven to 375 degrees

How to Make the Cupcakes:

In medium bowl, beat butter and sugar until light and fluffy; beat in eggs, lemon juice, baking powder, and salt; beat in flour until just combined

Divide cupcake batter between 12 cupcake liners in a muffin pan; bake 15-16 minutes until center of cupcakes firms up; remove cupcakes from oven and cool 5-8 minutes (do not turn off oven)

In the meantime, while the cupcakes are baking you’ll need to prepare the meringue: beat egg whites with salt until mixture begins to stiffen; add sugar and beat until meringue is stiff and forms pretty peaks and are nice and glossy.

Using a cupcake corer or With a sharp knife, remove center of each cupcake (about 1″ in diameter), leaving a layer of cupcake beneath cut out; fill cupcake centers with lemon filling

Divide dollops of meringue between cupcakes, spreading out to edges and gently tapping with back of spoon to form peaks; return cupcakes to oven and bake an additional 5-6 minutes until meringue peaks are golden brown; remove from oven and let cool 10 minutes; refrigerate an hour or more before serving

Makes a Dozen, you can toss the cupcake middles or just munch them.

Attachments:
      You must be logged in to view attached files.
      mos
      Participant

Oh these look yummy! I know my DF would have loved them…his favorite pie was lemon meringue. Maybe I’ll make them this weekend and think of him as I share with friends on Daddy’s Day.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.