- February 24, 2009 at 1:27 am #270949
Active Time: 25 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour 30 minutes
Baking spray (cooking spray with flour)
2 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
1⁄2 cup yellow cornmeal
2 tsp baking powder
1⁄2 tsp each baking soda and salt
2 sticks (1 cup) unsalted butter, softened
1 3⁄4 cups sugar
1 Tbsp grated lemon zest
1⁄4 cup lemon juice
4 large eggs
1 cup buttermilk or plain yogurt, stirred to loosen
1 cup sugar
1⁄3 cup lemon juice
1. Heat oven to 325°F. You’ll need a 10-cup decorative tube pan or a 12-cup Bundt pan coated with baking spray.
In medium bowl, whisk together flour, cornmeal, baking powder and soda, and salt.
2. In a large bowl beat butter, sugar, lemon zest and juice with mixer on medium speed until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs one at a time until blended.
With mixer on low, alternately beat in flour mixture and buttermilk until batter is smooth. Scrape into prepared pan; level top with spatula.
3. Bake 55 to 65 minutes until a wooden pick inserted in cake comes out clean.
Cool cake in pan on wire rack 5 minutes.
4. Meanwhile, make the sugar glaze: Whisk glaze ingredients in a small bowl just until combined (sugar will not be totally dissolved). Invert cake from pan onto rack; place rack over a baking sheet.
Brush glaze all over hot cake until absorbed (sugar crystals will be evident). Cool completely. Transfer cake to a serving plate and cover.
Let cake rest several hours, or overnight, before serving. Store cake covered at room temperature up to 4 days. Cut into thin slices to serve.
Tip: Use lime zest and juice for a zesty alternative.
Per serving: 282 cal, 4 g pro, 44 g car, 1 g fiber, 11 g fat (6 g sat fat), 67 mg chol, 173 mg sod
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.