Viewing 33 reply threads
  • Author

That’s great. Can you share the link to the recipe you used?

Participant

the one i decided to try was actually found ob budget101.com here is the link to the list of homemade laundry products. i did #5 under the liquid detergent. Make Your Own Laundry Detergents and pre wash sprays.

i dont think you will be disappointed.

Thanks for your feedback! After your positive review, I may look into this a bit closer. 🙂

Participant

i did the math and it figured out to be 7.00 for 2 1/2 gallons. and i am only using 1/4 cup per load. i cant break it down better than that but hubby said it is much cheaper than by buy 1 get 2 dynamo from meijer.

Sounds like a win-win situation!!!

Participant

i came back here today to see exactly when i made my laundry detergent. i cant believe i made the batch in march. it was a double batch.

i made my second batch today. i cant believe it lasted 6 months. granted i made a double batch but i also have a husband and 3 kids so i do a lot of laundry.

i really do love homemade products over store bought. 🙂

@bethaliz6894 222932 wrote:

i did the math and it figured out to be 7.00 for 2 1/2 gallons. and i am only using 1/4 cup per load. i cant break it down better than that but hubby said it is much cheaper than by buy 1 get 2 dynamo from meijer.

16 cups in a gallon, 2.5 gallons = 40 cups.

4 loads per cup = 160 loads. $7.00/160 = .04375 or a little less than 4.5 cents per load!! Nice!!

Where do I look for this Fels Naptha?? Never heard of it….help?!

Participant

@GandKsmom 252219 wrote:

Where do I look for this Fels Naptha?? Never heard of it….help?!

fels naptha is located in the laundry soap isle near the borax soap. you can also purchase it on amazon.

Attachments:
      You must be logged in to view attached files.
      Participant

i found it at meijer in the aisle right after the laundry aisle where they carry the bar soap on the grocery guide. it is on the bottom shelf.

Found some!! Thank you! Now, if they will just get more washing powder in.

They’ve been out for 3 weeks now.

I figure since I use borax and washing powder on a regular basis anyway I oughta try this “recipe” for detergent 🙂

Thanks for your help!

I started making my own laundry detergent about three years ago, and I noticed that my dark clothes didn’t have that “worn look around the seams and zippers” It turns out that the homemade detergent was getting out the detergent buildup on the clothes. My washing machine also had less hard water deposits. I don’t think I ever want to go back to commercial detergent.

Participant

^^^ i realized this too. i also think my towels are flufflier, lasting longer and dry better.

Can you use homemade detergent on items that you wash by hand ?

I have a slightly different recipe I use for hand washables that uses grated “ZOTE” bar laundry soap. I’ve sort of made it up as I’ve gone along, so give me a few days to put together a new batch and I’ll get the recipe to you. As I make it I will know whether I am forgetting anything, so I can write it down accurately.

Participant

This is a really good question, i am interested in your hand wash recipe too. i usually dont have much i hand wash, but you never know when it might come in handy

@jrodgers 253047 wrote:

I have a slightly different recipe I use for hand washables that uses grated “zote” bar laundry soap. i’ve sort of made it up as i’ve gone along, so give me a few days to put together a new batch and i’ll get the recipe to you. as i make it i will know whether i am forgetting anything, so i can write it down accurately.

waiting to see this one…woolite is so expensive i rarely buy it.
      i don’t have many hand washables, but the few i do own, i want to keep nice.

I have been making my own laundry detergent for years now and always looking for improvements..while googling i found this one i am going to try out and see how it works..now the person who posted it said she has a family of four and this laundry soap cost 30 dollars to make and if you follow the directions of only using 2 tbsp per load it should last almost a year……..so here is the recipe…
      3 bars of fels naptha
      1 box borax bleach
      1 box washing soda
      2 cups of baking soda
      2 containers of dollar store brand oxyclean
      1 to 2 containers of purex fabric softner chrystals

grate bar soap. mix it with rest of ingredients in a air tight container . Only use 2 tbsp of this per load..

i think i amgoing to try it. dont think it will last me a year since i have 8 at home but who knows lol

Here is what I use to make a semi-liquid hand washable detergent. 1/3 cup of finely grated ZOTE soap (.59 cents for small bar, 79 cents for a large bar), ~ 2/3 cup of water, 2 tablespoons rubbing alcohol, 1 tablespoon white vinegar and 1/3 cup of concentrated dish detergent.

Heat the water in a glass 2 cup measuring cup (microwave safe) until it begins to boil, slowly mix in the grated zote soap mixing it well. some zote will rise to the top, add 1 tbsp rubbing alcohol and stir well, then add the other tbsp.(50% works fine, but 70% works better)

If there is still undissolved ZOTE add more water up to a total of 9 oz of mixture, microwave for 20 sec, stop stir and repeat until a froth begins to rise to the top – at this point all ZOTE will be dissolved. Stir in 1 tbsp of white vinegar and mix well. Slowly stir in the dish detergent and reheat until it just begins to boil.

Be very careful when you handle this as it is hot and will stick to your hands so use proper precautions to avoid getting scalded.

Pour into a 16 oz canning jar and allow to cool overnight. The solution will become semi-solid and have the consistency of soft butter. You can also apply it directly to the hand washable item, add warm water and use your hands to agitate it and work the soap through the fabric.

Rinse in cool water until no suds remain.

To use on delicate washables use 1 tsp for a small load, and a tablespoon for a medium load using cool water. This is a great solution for taking out greasy stains, and the added rubbing alcohol helps remove ink and plant based stains. Blood stains will not come completely out but they come very close to being gone.

Here is what the semi-soft hand washables detergent looks like after it cools. You literally scoop out the gel one teaspoon at a time

Participant

Thank you very much for your recipe jrodgers. i am going to try this on my swimsuit.

i just have one question, who sells zote?

@Charmers7 253599 wrote:

3 bars of fels naptha
      1 box borax bleach
      1 box washing soda
      2 cups of baking soda
      2 containers of dollar store brand oxyclean
      1 to 2 containers of purex fabric softner chrystals

this is the first myo laundry soap i’ve used. i still have some left but i know it won’t last a year…i have 6 kids under 12 lol It’s ok..the clothes come out clean but they don’t really SMELL clean. I mean, they don’t smell dirty they just smell like clothes.

What I liked about this recipe is that I don’t have to boil or melt anything–the fewer dishes I have the better! 😉 It doesn’t make bubbles so I wonder if the soap actually reaches all of the clothes. I add it to the water as it’s filling up and then add the clothes.

Have you tried making it yet? 🙂

zote is a mexican soap that is sold in most store that carry mexican detergents and household items. you may also find it online at amazon, home depot, buycheapr and even ebay. (just add a .com to each of these store names, and search for zote on the site)

To Charmers7:

I haven’t tried this recipe yet, but I will give it a try at the beginning of the year, and tell you how it works

I found this laundry detergent recipe and use it all the time.

Participant

I have to report my latest success with my homemade detergent…i use this one Super Economical Laundry Soap for some reason it keeps seperating on me. so i am using it on everything to get rid of it. mostly i just use it on towels, whites, rags, blue jeans but not my husband dress clothes for work.

he cant handle the smell.ok on to the story. last night my 7 year old vomitted all over his bedding, pillow, carpet, bathroom, walls doors…you name it, he hit it. i use to use dynamo.

i would have to wash the bedding several times to get rid of the smell. at 11:30 last night, i tossed most of the bedding into the washer. with a 1/4 cup my detergent(i forgot to mix it up) this morning i dealt with the rest. the blanket did not smell at all.

i cant believe the first wash and it was smell free. this is the first time(thank god) i had to wash gross beddin with the new detergent. hoepfully my last. Liss, please dont ever take these recipes off of your web site.

they are the best.

I’ve tried a recipe for home made laundry det and it wasn’t so great. That being said, I’ve seen some recipes, not the one I tried, that seem to be well liked. Thought about trying them until I saw Liss’ “Mom’s Super Laundry Sauce”.

Now this one, I’m definitely gonna try, just not sure of when.

Keymaster

@bethaliz6894 262355 wrote:

I have to report my latest success with my homemade detergent…i use this one Super Economical Laundry Soap for some reason it keeps seperating on me. so i am using it on everything to get rid of it. mostly i just use it on towels, whites, rags, blue jeans but not my husband dress clothes for work. he cant handle the smell.ok on to the story. last night my 7 year old vomitted all over his bedding, pillow, carpet, bathroom, walls doors…you name it, he hit it. i use to use dynamo. i would have to wash the bedding several times to get rid of the smell. at 11:30 last night, i tossed most of the bedding into the washer. with a 1/4 cup my detergent(i forgot to mix it up) this morning i dealt with the rest. the blanket did not smell at all. i cant believe the first wash and it was smell free. this is the first time(thank god) i had to wash gross beddin with the new detergent. hoepfully my last. Liss, please dont ever take these recipes off of your web site. they are the best.

I’m so glad that it worked for you, but I hate that your little one was so sick!!! On the separation issues you’ve experienced- do you happen to have either hard or soft water? That can make a difference in how the detergent sets. I didn’t realize this when I initially created the recipe (on accident, btw) when I lived in Maine- however, when we moved out west we had extremely hard water and I just couldn’t get it to “Mix” even with a hand mixer.

@MrsPaws 262358 wrote:

I’ve tried a recipe for home made laundry det and it wasn’t so great. That being said, I’ve seen some recipes, not the one I tried, that seem to be well liked. Thought about trying them until I saw Liss’ “Mom’s Super Laundry Sauce”.

Now this one, I’m definitely gonna try, just not sure of when.

MrsPaws- if you end up not liking it as a “main detergent” it does still work wonderfully for stubborn stain remover. Much to the chagrin of my husband, I’m running the Mustard- Ketchup- Mud test right now. (Slather on mustard, ketchup and mud and let it dry overnight, add detergent next day, wash and test. ) I do this with all of my homemade cleaners/detergents to see if they work- we do a 1 day, 7 day and 30 day.

LOL. It drives my husband nuts.

Participant

@Liss 262700 wrote:

I’m so glad that it worked for you, but I hate that your little one was so sick!!! On the separation issues you’ve experienced- do you happen to have either hard or soft water? That can make a difference in how the detergent sets.

I didn’t realize this when I initially created the recipe (on accident, btw) when I lived in Maine- however, when we moved out west we had extremely hard water and I just couldn’t get it to “Mix” even with a hand mixer.

thank you for the concern for my little one, he is actually fine, even right away. i am thinking he may have had a bad bought of heart burn. he does this sometimes.

when he is done vomitting(just once) he is ok and ready to eat. he is really little for his age, that is the only reason why i think heart burn. there is no way his stomach is big enough to hold all the food that little guy can put in it.

lol!

i do have hard water here. but when i made it the first time, i didnt have a problem with it seperating so i am thinking it is something i have done, i just cant figure it out. the stuff last forever since i dont have to use much.

i cant seem to get rid of it. 🙂 i have a hard time mixing the detergent the first time so i ‘stole’ my husbands hand drill and a paint stirring attachment. it really did work well.

Participant

@Jane 262701 wrote:

MrsPaws- if you end up not liking it as a “main detergent” it does still work wonderfully for stubborn stain remover. Much to the chagrin of my husband, I’m running the Mustard- Ketchup- Mud test right now. (Slather on mustard, ketchup and mud and let it dry overnight, add detergent next day, wash and test. ) I do this with all of my homemade cleaners/detergents to see if they work- we do a 1 day, 7 day and 30 day.

lol. it drives my husband nuts.

you gave me a great idea, i never thought to do ‘test’ to find out how great a detergent really is.

i have used this for years now and I only like the…. 14.1 oz bar of zote a mexican laundry soap
      it is fantastic……..90 cents a bar at Big Lot’s……I make up …15 bars at a time and store in containers from the thrift store or gallon bag lined coffee cans..Love Love it………..will not use any other …..so don’t back up you will love it…………

I love ZOTE, especially the fragrance. It does a fantastic job on delicate washables and I use the gel I make for hand washables on a sponge to take grease off my walls and stove as well. It really is a multipurpose soap

@bethaliz6894 222897 wrote:

the one i decided to try was actually found ob budget101.com here is the link to the list of homemade laundry products. i did #5 under the liquid detergent. Make Your Own Laundry Detergents and pre wash sprays.

i dont think you will be disappointed.

Hi,
      I just made a batch of this same detergent. Love the smell! However, I do intend to try other recipes.

I only use 1 Tablespoons worth, as that is how the other directions specified. I have them stored in qt. jars.

I am so excited to try other homemade recipes. I love the idea of not have to spend tons of money now on laundy det. , dishwasher tablets or dish soap for that matter.

Viewing 33 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.