Kitchen Gadgets that Save us Cash . . .

Budget101 Discussion List Archives Frugal Savings Kitchen Gadgets that Save us Cash . . .

Viewing 55 reply threads
  • Author

In response to our recent pantry challenge we discovered many of you, like myself are also Kitchen Gadget Hoarders!

So what are your favorite top 10 Kitchen Gadgets?

I realize that not everyone has a ton of gadgets in their kitchen, so if you must, list just your top 5.

1. FoodSaver Handheld System- use it for sealing all our fruits and veggies to prevent spoilage during the week
      2. Canning Supplies– Pressure Canner, Water Bath Pot & Mason Jars

[url=”https://www.amazon.com/s/?_encoding=utf8&camp=1789&creative=390957&field-keywords=food%20dehydrator&linkCode=ur2&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Afood%20dehydrator&sprefix=Food%20Deh%2Caps%2C180&tag=budget10100-20&url=search-alias%3Daps”%5DNesco Food Dehydrator[/URL]– use it for drying all leftover fruits and veggies to make soups, stews, side dishes, homemade fruit rolls, etc
      4. KitchenAid Mixer– doesn’t really need an explanation, it’s a lifesaver (and an Arm Saver!)
      5. Pasta Attachments for KitchenAid mixer– makes the best pasta ever, i love controlling the ingredients and knowing what my family is really eating

Bunn Coffemaker– makes an entire pot of coffee in 3 minutes, Total. I don’t have patience to wait long for my coffee.
      7. FoodSaver Vaccuum Sealer– seals everything that goes into our freezer, keeps it burn free for ages.

Olive Mister– use it daily to spray pans/dishes with Extra Virgin Olive Oil instead of chemicals from a can
      9. My Homemade Cookbook with washable pages
      10. Cannon Camera– for without it you would never see all my strange concoctions and recipes!

Now mind you, I didn’t buy all these things at once, I’ve accumulated them over the past 25 years, many as gifts, a few I’ve bought … and my favorites of course vary by season.

What are your “must haves” in the kitchen.. and while you’re at it, share 3 of your “I Wants/I Wish I had” . .

Our lucky winner(s) will receive new kitchen gadgets in this challenge!!

good luck!

[b101][/b101]

My family is big, 7 people. So, in order for us to make the most of our money, we have a food saver, allowing us to buy foods in bulk and freeze them for later meals. We make a lot of our own homemade products, thanks to this awesome site, so I would also say my canning supplies.

Who doesn’t need canning mason jars? They are so versatile!! We have a breadmaker that is used ALL the time.

Another useful tool in my house are my wooden spoons. Not really a gadget, but there are just some things that don’t come out right when using metal or plastic. My handheld can opener is always a must. Hubs likes to make hummus with green chilis in adobo sauce and his favorite comes in a can.

My rice cooker is used about 4 times a week. My daughter loves how it always makes the rice sticky, making it easier for her to eat. I use a handheld mixer a lot to make cakes and muffins, and although I don’t get as good a workout than mixing by hand, my shoulder thanks me for this gadget.

LOL I guess those are just some of them. There are plenty more gadgets in the kitchen…but these are the ones that are used the most.

1. KitchenAid mixer. Crucial for making food like pizza dough, and of course baked goods from scratch.
      2. FoodSaver. We’re a small family – this saves us so we can buy bulk items and repackage at home.
      3. Whisk.

Not electric, but I use it more than any other tool in the drawer.

4. Meat slicer. Obvious but we also buy big blocks of cheese and slice our own.
      5. Electric griddle. For making pancakes, grilled cheese, etc.

I don’t know if I have 10 gadgets or not, but here goes:
      1: Kitchen aid mixer
      2: small hand held grater
      3: Bamboo tongs
      4: Food processor
      5: coffee pot. Being a single parent (who cant tolerate too much caffine)I don’t use it often, but is very hand when I need it. Also the basket can come out and I can make just 1 single cup of fresh brewed coffee.

If you’ve never done this, you should try it. It makes just the perfect cup! Especially when you have just ground the beans as well.
      6: coffee grinder.
      7: (Not a gadget) but my cast iron skillet.

I’d be lost without it…and if someone breaks in my house I can use it as a weapon and WACK someone in the head(like on ‘Tangled’)

Want’s/wishes
      1: I would love a juicer
      2: magic bullet or something very similar
      3: Food saver/vacuum sealer

My Favorite gadgets are:

Rice cooker (pampered chef)
      chopper (pampered chef)
      nutri bullet
      mini food processor
      apple corer/slicer

My top five food gadgets are:

1. chopsticks ( use them like a whisk, turn meat or veggies in the skillet, grab pickles out of jars, and eat noodles with a firm grasp on the food).

2. electric hand blender

3. 1 cup sized porcelain mortar and pestle (grind herbs and spices, tea, even recycle broken dishwasher pellets into pot scouring powder)

4. Canning pot, with all of its accessories, jars, bands and lids

5 Vacuum sealer and bags

6. Food mills: grain mill, coffee mill, manual fruit mill

7. Yogurt maker (can make cheese, too!)

8. juicer

9. commercial quality hand crank rotary cheese (or zucchini) grater

10. blender / mixer

I wish I had;

1. pasta making accessories (noodle maker, ravioli plates etc)

2. a non-solar box dryer for fruits vegetables and jerky (I have solar dryers and they work fine, except when there’s not much sun)

3. a meat grinder (so many good buys on roasts, steaks, chops cheaper than ground; if you could grind your own meat)

4. a really heavy duty mixer – strong enough to handle Springerle or, biscotti dough, with low speed for ice cream and gellato

1. Kitchen-aid mixer–I use this for almost everything. Seldom use my bread machine at all.

Food processors–large one and a small one-cup one.
      3. A small hand food chopper
      4. Can opener

Coffee maker–not for me, but for dh
      6. I have a small metal spatula that I absolutely wouldn’t want to cook without
      7. Tongs

Two very large spoons that I use for serving spoons–one scoop does it.
      9. Ice cream scoop
      10. Not really a gadget, but my counter-top grill
      Wish list: A really good blender (the one I have is not very sturdy) and a bread keeper that adjusts to the size of the loaf.

This one is a challenge, but I have a few:

1) My veggie peeler
      2) My Cuisinart Food Processor: grates, slices, chops, mixes and more!
      3) My grandmother’s Hamilton Beach mixer: an oldie, but a goodie!
      4) My silicone oven mitt & gripper: I use it to open jars, as well as for handling hot items
      5) My blender….
      6) My silicone basting brushes
      7) My oil mister & oil “drizzler”
      8) My pepper grinder
      9) My handheld can opener!
      10) My breadmaker….

Wish list?
      1) World peace… (or whirled peas?)
      2) A Wonder Woman KitchenAid mixer, with pasta attachments (or, red… or stainless…)
      3) FoodSaver (just bought my mom one for her birthday, but didn’t get myself one!)
      4) Never mind….

#s 1-3 will suffice as my wish list…. 🙂

Thanks for letting me play along!

1. electric rice pot -most used . we eat a lot of rice

vacuum saver – I hate freezer burn
      3. corn thingy by pampered chef. I just discovered this recently.

I have been putting up bushels of corn every year and have tried several methods. this by far is the best and I don’t slice my finger.
      4. dehydrator – we have our own beef and love beef jerky.

I also use it for a lot of other thing but beef jerky is at the top of the list.
      5. food processor- I just got one lest year. I can’t believe how it has made life so much easier.

toaster oven (does that count?) we use it all the time.
      7. this is not a gadget but it makes life so much easier and I hate to run out. it is expensive but worth the extra money.

non stick foil. i have burnt sugar , cheese you name it i burnt it and it doesn’t stick.
      8. coffee pot

lime juicer
      10. canning supplies

wish list
      stand mixed
      vacuum system for jars

RE: Kitchen Gadgets Challenge:

If I had to choose:

1. my high heat rubber spatula set use them for everything, from making eggs to mixing up cake batter.

2. My coffee pot, because without i would not be a very happy momma.

3. my food processors with out those I would have to shred and mince everything by hand, from my Nels soap to meat for my fried rice.

My wishes are:

a new food saver
      a new pot and pan set mine are getting old and up there
      a blender that fit my mason jar for making laundry soap

I’m very simple.

Toaster oven… Hands down. Doesn’t heat the house; I can cook our whole dinner without the oven.

My 10 favorite (at this point in time) gadgets in the kitchen would be:

1. Automatic Bread Maker — to make bread, a Daisy Churn (Quart Size) — to make Butter to put on that hot out of the machine bread. (This is two but I will list them as one.)

Food Processor, Blender and Juicer (again, I am lumping them together)
      3. Slow Cooker/Crock Pot, Pressure Cooker, and Rice Cooker
      4. Pasta Machine — makes all kinds of noodles with different attachments/heads.

My stand mixer is my favorite, but I find myself using the hand mixer more often lately.
      6. Grain/flour Mills and Oat Roller/Cereal Flake Maker — individual mills for each of the different grains that I grind so there is no cross contamination. Also, Coffee and herb/spice grinders and shaker jars.

Food Dehydrator
      8. Canning equipment and utensils. (I could probably make a list of 10 in this category alone — Food Mill, Pressure Canner, Steam Juicer etc.) These are in use big time right now!

Soy Milk Maker and Tofu pan. (You can also make bean and nut milks in it)
      10. Hand cranked Oil Press — we press our own cooking oil from Canola Beans.

Wish List: Digital Meat Thermometer, Digital Oil/Candy Thermometer, Digital Kitchen Scale

Thanks; Virginia

my fav is the juice presser…this old style juice press that you see at fairs for fresh pressed lemonade. I have my fresh OJ or grapefruit every morning…i’m addicted.

learning the frugal lifestyle is challenging, but my favorite gadgets are: my coffee maker, 2. handheld can opener 3. mini food chopper 4.

Ninja Pulse System 5. Breadmaker 6. Oster Blender 7.

Cook’s Essential Pressure Cooker 8. Foodsaver System. 9.

microwave oven 10. Toaster Oven. I love this website, I have learned so much, I am addicted.

By constantly searching daily I have acquired so much wonderful information to apply in my daily life. Thanks for all you do!

1. My most fav is the Food Saver. I couldn’t live without this one.

I have even pressed flowers with it. 2. Next is the food chopper.

I love the ideas of getting the onions chopped without crying. 3. is the NuWave Induction Stove Top .

Once I learned the secret to using this gadget….I don’t use my stovetop hardly at all. 4 The NuWave Oven. The kitchen doesn’t get all hot in the summer and food is done before you know it and it saves sooooo much electricity.

5. My whisk. I use it for every hand mixing job I can.

I have several in different sizes. 6. My iron skillets.

Only ones I use. 7. I have some bamboo tongs that I get the bread out of the oven toaster with.

I love those little things. We don’t have a traditional toaster. We have a oven and a half.

The half is a smaller oven on top. It has a toasting feature on it. 8.

My blender. What kitchen could survive without a blender? 9.

Well, they aren’t really gadgets, but I have loads of electrical outlets in my kitchen. I paid special attention to that as the house was being built. They are a lifesaver.

10. This is not really a gadget either….my husband. he loves to cook and bake.

he is a fisherman and a hunter. he loves to entertain. he’s not much for cleaning up but i can handle that.

My Kitchen is still blossoming, so I don’t have tons of gadgets, but these are my fave things in the kitchen.
      1) KitchenAid mixer
      2) Ninja blender. It’s not the big fancy one, but I love it.
      3) Crock Pot. If I haven’t used it that day, I wish I had.
      4) Electric skillet. I love this for pancakes, french toast, egg in a windows!
      5) Steamer. It makes steaming so easy!
      6) my other favorite things in the kitchen are, Spatulas!! Love those excellent scrapers!
      7) Meat thermometer, I can be sure of the safety of the meat we eat.
      8) Whisks, i used forks for a long time, & can’t figure out why I waited so long to get whisks.
      9) Glass measuring cups. Use these for everything.
      10) Cookie sheets. I’ve had mine for almost 10 years, and they’re still awesome!

the three things I’d like most are
      1) Foodsaver, I really wanna try the $ saving tricks with this.
      2) I have a grain mill on order, so excited!
      3) Probly the KitchenAid Ice Cream maker would be my next most wanted thing.

OK, I have a few items in my kitchen that I cant live without. it is actually so many items that if my house was to catch on fire, I would stand in the middle of my kitchen and burn to death with everything in it because there is no chance that I could save everything.

my kitchenaid stand mixer, with the bread hook, and the pasta rollers.
      my Cuisinart food processor.
      Flavorsaver vacuum sealer
      cutco knife set
      my brand new marble rolling pen
      my oven
      my rice cooker
      my veggie steamer
      my wok
      salt and pepper grinders
      my pressure cooker
      my crockpot
      my cook books, in paper and ebooks.

my wish list
      ceramic mixing bowls, multi sizes
      I need more whisk
      pasta drying rack
      food grinder attachment for my kitchenaid

I forgot my coffeepot and my coffee bean grinder…I am so horrible for forgetting my coffeepot and grinder.

1. Food Dehydrator – I use it to make mixes for gift giving, camping/traveling, snacks, etc.
      2. Food Processor – I use it for grinding dehydrated foods, mixing sauces/dressings, mashing potatoes, apples, etc.
      3. My Tablet & Kindle – I have a notepad app and I have all my favorite recipes (family, internet & cookbook copied) wrote down. In addition I can easily look up something quickly if I need to.
      4. My Coffee Maker – Because let’s face it, without caffeine I am not a safe person to be around.
      5. My Knives – I have a regular knife set but have slowly been accumulating a collection of REALLY GOOD knives for preparing ribs, cutting hard vegetables, slicing tender vegetables & fruits without tearing, etc.
      6. My Reversible Grill/Griddle – Because there’s nothing like cooking pancakes in the morning and grilled chicken for dinner without having to drag out a thousand different appliances.
      7. My Blender – From milkshakes to margaritas, life is better with a good blender that destroys those huge ice chunks.
      8. My Crock Pot – Without this I would have to be more vigilant in the all day cooking of some of my Grandmother’s recipes.
      9. My Scale – I like to buy in bulk and recipes sometimes call for one (1) 2 oz pkg of such and such or 3 lbs of this and that.
      10. My Dad – Because he is the one that taught me to cook and he knows all the family recipes by heart and he is only a phone call away and more than willing to impart his knowledge on the condition I bring him any leftovers or experiments or canned foods or mixes that I make.

I think my most favorite kitchen “gadget” is a hand held cheese grater. I use it for so many things, from zesting, chocolate shaving, carrot grating……much more, not to mention cheese grating! Now…my most favorite Kitchen Appliance is my Kitchen Aid Stand Mixer. It’s a real workhorse. I use it almost everyday, at least several times a week. It can do and does jobs that many mixers simply couldn’t handle. I like to make larger meals than what we need, so that I can freeze some for another time when I don’t have as much time to cook. Also, there are many times that you don’t realize you will need to take a meal to a friend, relative or acquaintance that needs help. You just don’t always have the time, even though your spirit is willing. So! It’s marvelous to have a mixer that does so much, so well, in large quantities and keeps on plugging! I got this mixer back in 1978. I have had it ever since. I has even survived a house fire, that almost everything else was destroyed in. It IS on it’s last legs however, and being held together with tape and wire. I need another one! It has also become abundantly clear to me that I need a hardworking food processor, juicer and or blender. I am so at home in the kitchen, and learning new things everyday, even tho’ I am on the downhill side of 40….I’m NOT dead yet! I love to cook…and those I cook for love to eat what I cook. I am so very blessed by God to have this opportunity and ability to serve those I love!

1) 2 Pressure Cookers- I cook almost everything in them
      2) Slow Cooker- If its not in the pressure cookers its in here
      3) Deep Fryer- So I can cook for my husband
      4) Filter Pitcher- To remove salt from our water
      5) Long Handle Spoons-
      6) Freezer Bags- For the left overs
      7) Cutting Board-
      8) Sharp Butcher Knife
      9) Plastic Bowls- For storing anything
      10) Dish Drainer- Holds everything from dishes to veggies

I think my fav gadget is a guitar string. Yes you read that right. You ca cut so many things without cutting yourself (clutz) Cheese blocks and logs, eggs strawberries anything soft and it wont mush them. make sure you use the thin ones at the bottom of the guitar. The bigger ones can be used to saw hard crusted bread though. To save money I use them after they have broken. So don’t throw them away. Oh and clean well before using

I don’t have 10, but this is what I have
      1. Crockpot, so nice to come home to dinner already made after work
      2. Juicer, fresh tastes sooo good
      3. keurig, can be used for so much, not just for coffee
      4. Electric skillet, makes awesome pancakes
      5. Cast iron pan, can be used in oven as well as stovetop
      6. Rotisserie
      Hoping to get the ninja system for my birthday, borrowed one from friend for bake sale prep and fell in love!!

My most favorite kitchen appliances are probably all of the ones I own 🙂 but if I have to order them…

1. Kitchen Aid stand mixer–I don’t know how my arms and hands survived without that bad boy
      2. Belgian Waffle maker– if you have never made brownies in a waffle maker you are most definitely missing out
      3. Food Saver– My kiddos love your idea of “restaurant night” so we have one specifically for them to take turns being the chef and the waiter 🙂
      4. Food processor– got one because I was tired of shredding carrots and cabbage by hand
      5. Silcone bakeware–words cannot express my love for silicone bakeware. It makes me giddy

My wish list:

1. A Vitamix
      2. Pasta/ice cream attachments for kitchen aid
      3. Immersion blender (I want to try homemade mayo) 🙂

My kitchen aid mixer, of course is #1
      Bamboo spoons that don’t scratch my pans#2
      Food saver #3
      Electric can opener…older hands don’t do hand held well!! #4
      Microwave–I know, more of an appliance, but still, what would we do without one #5
      Silicone whisks, two sizes, and I use them more than I thought I would #6
      Keurig coffee maker. Hubby drinks coffee, and I, tea. Bought this and put our old machine away. Love love it!! #7
      And my #8 gadget I guess, would have to be the toaster. Don’t use it often, but I do love it.
      #9 is my Cuisinart knife–cannot remember the name, but I do love it. Great size and shape for me.
      #10 would have to be my silicone oven mits. Use them often.

The Olive Mister appears to be quite handy. The other store bought can spray lasts about 3 weeks and the oil smells like a non-edible oil. Olive oil is much better for me and in the long run, much cheaper.

This is easy, I probably only have 5 actual gadgets in my kitchen right now, the rest are in storage (in another state) and I can’t wait to get them back here.

The 6 things I use everyday in my kitchen are:

1. my square fry pan
      2. my restaurant grade cutting boards (these are rectangular pieces of durable plastic) in different colors
      3. my electric can opener (I have arthritis so this is really a necessity for me)
      4. my hand held drink blender (this one is in storage and I can’t wait to have it back)
      5. My hand held mixer (also in storage- right now I use a fork and my own hand power to mix)
      6. and this is my favorite: My Laptop. (I search and look up new recipe ideas, ingredients, nutritional information etc.)

Having been a restauranteurs wife for many years there are a few gadgets I would love to have back in my kitchen:
      a slicer/ grater
      an electric flat griddle
      a blender
      and a waffle iron

i love my NINJA KITCHEN SET REPLACED ALOT OF SPACE ON COUNTER

1) My crockpot gets used a lot, especially for making caramelized onions to put on/in everything
      2) Bamboo utensils. Never thought I would give up my wooden spoons but these are actually more durable
      3) Microplane grater. cuts through anything like it was butter!
      4) Keurig coffee maker. Use it with Ecobrew for more affordability
      5) Ninja blender. Gets used daily and handles everything with ease.
      6) Potscrubbers from Pampered Chef. Hard plastic disc with rounded edges and 90 degree angle on one side to scrape off burned or crusted on food. Shaped corners fit it any corners!
      7) Iron skillets. Use them almost daily. 2 are from my grandmother’s kitchen! My daughter asked for a tiny one- “It’s the only way I know how to make fried egg sandwiches”!
      8) Compost Pail. Rachel Ray may have a garbage bowl but all my non protein scrap goes to compost
      9) Whisk. I can beat the lumps out of anything when armed with it.
      10) My TV. I have learned more about cooking from Alton Brown than from my family! Their recipes are the best but now I know why! and his salmon recipes are the best.

1) Calphalon Coffee Maker
      2) Cuisinart Food Processor
      3) Cuisinart Blender
      4) Misto Oil Mister
      5) Crock Pot (I do not use it often, but it is a must have)
      6) Wok
      7) I would agree with a PC (could not live without it for recipes. lost my internet Sun – Tues. Wanted to look something up, took 10+ times longer to find in a cookbook).

I think that is it, our kitchen storage area is small.

Wish List ~ Common stuff but like I said our space is limited
      1) Kitchen Aid stand Mixer /all attachments
      2) Electric Knife
      3) Electric Skillet

1. Nesco Slow Cooker/Roaster
      2. My tea strainer
      3. Hand held cheese grater
      4. Keruig coffee maker

I really enjoy cooking but I don’t have very many “gadgets” as you put it. I do home can so I have quite a few mason jars that I’ve accumulated the past 30 years or so.

1. Canning Supplies
      2. Microwave (Not all of the burners work well on my stove)
      3. Tongs (several)
      4. Coffee pot
      5. Rolling Pin – I like to make pastries
      6. Hand Mixer
      7. Garlic Clove Presser/extractor

My wish list? Any kind of gadget that might help save me some money lol. money1 smilie

Thanks for asking!

This is my list of favorites
      1. Bunn Coffee maker
      2. A very old Kitchen Aid mixer
      3. Wooden spoons
      4. Hand held mixer
      5. Measuring cups
      6. Measuring spoons
      7. Pampered Chief Slicer
      8. Whisk
      9. Paring Knives
      10. Electric can opener

Hmmmm…
      Bread machine
      mixer
      blender
      chopper
      potato peeler
      wire whip
      pizza stone
      crock pot
      rice cooker
      can opener

I do my best to stay out of the kitchen – thus, my health got bad. So last fall I got radical, changed my diet & began measuring my portions. So I must say that my favorite kitchen gadget is my digital scale, since I use it nearly every meal. The gadget that I’d LOVE to have is a vacuum sealer. No matter what I do, I get freezer burn. I can’t store anything for any length of time!

1) Bread Machine (Thanks to this site and others I now own 3)
      2) Food processor
      3) vitamix
      4) Mixer
      5) meat grinder
      6) canning jars
      7) my mister
      8) can opener
      9) keurig
      10) rice cooker/steamer

I feel like I’m going to have to think this one through really well, but I’m in there so often, it’ll probably just come…

1. My Empire Red KitchenAid Stand Mixer. Love it. I’m not much of a red person. I love it, but it’s too loud for me… but I had to get this in red.
      2. My wooden mixing spoon. Pizza dough in the mixer. Brownies just aren’t right without a little elbow grease.
      3. The pot. Pasta all the time.
      4. The frying pan. Chicken Schnitzel (breaded, fried chicken), stir fry…
      5. Massive Tupperware that contains my flours.
      6. These two little baskets I have that contain my spices almost perfectly.
      7. Paring knives. They’re so cute and useful.
      8. Tongs. I have a beautiful pasta spoon that I keep on display b/c I use tongs, not pasta spoons.
      9. A little hand-driven food chopper. It’s good for small amounts. (It’s Tupperware, and I picked it up in China. Weird.)
      10. My cookbooks. Mostly I read through them for the enjoyment of it, but I also use them when I actually want to make something. I like the whole dual-use thing going on there.
      (11. I just got a set of Lee Valley measuring spoons that are narrow and are supposed to fit into spice jars, so I’m hoping they’re everything I’m expecting them to be)

Wishlist:
      1. Food processor or blender. Or both. I know they’re different, but I don’t know how or why.
      2. Candy thermometer
      3. Belgian waffle maker

Thanks for letting me join in the fun!

1. You can’t beat a good knife
      2. My Ninja. Makes great smoothies
      3. Crock pot
      4. Roaster oven
      5. Electric kettle. Water gets hot much faster then on the stove

1. Coffee maker
      2. Crock Pots
      3. Toaster
      4. Kitchen aid mixer
      5. Cuisinart food processor/ Kitchen Aid Blender
      6. Hand held gadgets (Microplanes, peelers, choppers, knives, etc)
      7. Cuisinart immersion blender
      8. Canning equipment
      9. Electric Pressure cooker
      10. Pampered Chef mandoline
      11. Pampered Chef steamers
      12. Cook books-myo or commercial bought
      13…the list can go on and on cause I LOVE cooking gadgets and what not… 😉

My favorites are:
      1) My Magic Bullet (which just broke and I need to replace:-( )
      2) My coffee grinder which I use to grind whole spices not coffee
      3) A piece of non slip mat that I use for opening jars and turning on the cold water in my bathtub when it sticks
      4) A plain drinking straw. Crazy? No, I have no gadget for sucking the air out of my bags before I freeze my foods. So I close a Ziploc bag almost all the way with the straw in one corner, suck all the air out, and zip it the rest of the way shut as I pull the straw out with my teeth just as all the air is coming out.
      5)Rechargeable Can Opener

A FEW of my favorite kitchen things are: hand-held mixer. manual can opener, whisks in various sizes, my frosting spatula and the Food Saver/vacuum sealer. The pineapple corer belongs on a list of things that I DON”T like!

1. Serrated veggie peeler (greatest thing since _____)
      2. FoodSaver
      3. Dehydrator
      4. Canning equipment
      5. Food Processor
      6. Mortar/Pestle
      7. Funnel
      8. Granny Fork
      9. Tea Kettle
      10. Fire Extinguisher (never want to use, but have)

And another necessity for my aging bones is a stool to sit on when waiting patiently for something to finish.

So I’m definitely NOT a chef but I do like to cook! I am a single mom to 3 children with special needs and we have a very small budget but here are some of my must-haves in the kitchen!
      1. Mr. Coffee coffee maker (red in color)
      2. Microwave (also red)
      3. Stove ( I thought I’d be happy when our stove went out but I soon found out just how important a stove is in eating healthy. So glad to have one again:).
      4. Dish Drainer (I AM the dishwasher and training the next generation)
      5. Can Opener – ours is a manual but couldn’t do without it.
      6. Toaster
      7. Crock pot
      8. Oven mitts and pot holders (red gingham, are you starting to see a theme?)
      9. Spice Rack
      10. Computer in the kitchen area!

Want/Wish list
      Dishwasher (NOT manual, LOL)
      Red Toaster or Toaster Oven
      Drosselmeyer Nutcracker, Red to crack nuts without putting anyone’s eye out for our annual Christmas Eve snack night.

Things I have that are used frequently: Electric griddle, coffee pot, wire wisk, panini maker, hand mixer
      3 wishes that I would LOVE to have but can’t afford: Kitchen Aide mixer with every kind of attachment known to man, lol. A heavy duty blender, and a food saver with life time supply of bags. 🙂

Ok, my top 10 gadgets that save me loads of money…
      1. food dehydrator- great for all those fruits and veggies that are soft or “discounted” at the store. I have to cut them up anyways. I either jar up the items or once dehydrated I grind onion, garlic and such for spices.
      2. magic bullet. I got it for Christmas (it was a buy one get one from my dad who also bought it for my mom) I have the juicer attachment, it works as a blender, grinder.. I only need this one unit to grind, whip, chop. (so it saves on counter space too)
      3. vacuum sealer- I can blanch foods, chop, cook whatever and vacuum seal then freeze or store. bags are reusable as well and I can use it on other bags but watch what you do some bags are too flimsy.
      4. sandwich maker/waffle, donut, press, grill,etc. it has so many functions…and the sandwich attachment works great for quick desserts, easy omelettes, use leftovers inside two slices of bread or tortilla…enless uses.
      5. grater- you’re thinking what??? ok…for all those that buy cheese..why are you paying more for shredded cheese when you can get more from a block which is cheaper and shred it yourself? it also is great for zesting, and anything else that may need ground down if my magic bullet doesnt do it.
      6. popcorn maker- husbands gift from work (its a large movie style popper) I save loads because we have a great snack for pennies compared to buying the microwave kind that is too salty etc. we add flavoring of our choice too.
      7. 3 in one crock pot. (its a long buffet style crock with 3 large pots so I can make three full meals at once/ I can make breakfast, breads, desserts, sides…whatever I want. i then freeze the other meals for later and all i have to do it put it back in crock and heat for dinner..or cook on stove in a stock pot.
      8. not sure if a deep freezer can be a gadget but it saves me loads of money. I have a reg..freezer above the fridge section, its small and doesnt hold alot. I buy discounted bread, fruits/veggies, cook meals and freeze, buy butter when its really cheap and freeze. I also buy cheese when its cheap then freeze in the block don’t open it and just freeze..it lasts forever. I also buy large 5lb sliced american cheese. (store brand) we were spending 3.00 or more per 24 slice. I break it up into 24 slice bags, we get like 8 or so bags for 11 dollars. Its a much better deal when your not paying for the individually wrapped slices and tastes way better.
      9. canning accessories- I’m sure you understand why.
      10. roaster—I can make a turkey, roast, huge hog leg…you name it in my roaster and it doesn’t heat up the house and makes the juiciest meat because I don’t even need to wrap with that expensive metal stuff. 😉
      Ok…3 wants
      1. a good mixer- only because my hands have arthritus and carpal tunnel and it makes for hard work when kneading dough and whipping up cookies and things. If I get a good mixer like a kitchen aid I would get the attachments for making pasta and sausage too.
      2. food processor- because although my bullet is nice it does chop things to a more liquid state if your not really paying attention.
      3. a hand grinder for milling grains and such. also one for meats.
      This is my first post and so happy I have spent so much time reading all the wonderful info. Thank you to everyone who shares their wonderful hints and tips. Blessings~ ladyrose

1)…Air tight containers
      2)…Hand held mixer
      3)…Stop Boil Over thingy…saves money on new burner plates and elbow grease time:)
      4)…Serving dishes
      5)…Cutting boards

Space savers are a huge asset as I have no space at all

1. Vegetable steamer dishes
      2. blender
      3. apple peeler
      4. jerky cutter
      5. food dehydrator
      6. toaster

I think that just about covers it. I’d like a foodsaver/vacuum sealer and I’d like to get a kitchenaid mixer.

@Liss 326900 wrote:

1. FoodSaver Handheld System- use it for sealing all our fruits and veggies to prevent spoilage during the week
      2. Canning Supplies– pressure canner, water bath pot & mason jars

[url=”https://www.amazon.com/s/?_encoding=utf8&camp=1789&creative=390957&field-keywords=food%20dehydrator&linkCode=ur2&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Afood%20dehydrator&sprefix=Food%20Deh%2Caps%2C180&tag=budget10100-20&url=search-alias%3Daps”%5DNesco Food Dehydrator[/url]– use it for drying all leftover fruits and veggies to make soups, stews, side dishes, homemade fruit rolls, etc
      4. KitchenAid Mixer– doesn’t really need an explanation, it’s a lifesaver (and an arm saver!)
      5. Pasta Attachments for KitchenAid mixer– makes the best pasta ever, i love controlling the ingredients and knowing what my family is really eating

Bunn Coffemaker– makes an entire pot of coffee in 3 minutes, Total. I don’t have patience to wait long for my coffee.
      7. FoodSaver Vaccuum Sealer– seals everything that goes into our freezer, keeps it burn free for ages.

Olive Mister– use it daily to spray pans/dishes with extra virgin olive oil instead of chemicals from a can
      9. My Homemade Cookbook with washable pages

Cannon Camera– for without it you would never see all my strange concoctions and recipes!

my list would be as follows:

1. My homemade cookbook
      2. My Kitchenaid Mixer
      3. My pasta extruder
      4. My el-cheapo blender
      5. My vaccume sealer
      6. canning supplies
      7. vegetable steamer dish (Thank you Liss!)

I’d love some bread making goodies.

My top five kitchen gadgets are tough to decide, but here it goes.
      A very sharp chef knife, bamboo wooden spoon, a large heavy bowl, cast iron skillet and Kitchen Aid mixer.
      I have lots of gadgets and use them, but I have found that the basics are the most important ones. I can make most any dish if I have a knife, bowl, mixing spoon and cast iron skillet. My kitchen Aid just makes everything quicker to make!

As a culinary Adviser at a highschool, I not only need to know how to use lots of gadgets, but I also need to know how to improvise as well. ( I often don”t have the proper tool at school, so I use what I have, The Basics!)

Congratulations to our Kitchen Gadget Challenge Winner, ColleenMcGovan. curious as to what the prize package contains?

since our member indicated that she doesn’t have a very good stovetop, we thought she’d love a steamer dish, we have a couple and it’s one of our favorite gadgets. our member also indicated in her post that she likes to bake, so we thought the silpats would come in handy for rolling out whatever pastry delights she can think of.

here are the contents of our kitchen gadget prize package:

orka steamer dish
      Amazon.com: orka steamer

misto
      Amazon.com: Misto

foodsaver handheld-
      Amazon.com: foodsaver handheld

foodsaver regular mouth jar sealer
      FoodSaver T03-0006-02P Regular-Mouth Jar Sealer: Kitchen & Dining: Amazon.com

foodsaver wide mouth jar sealer
      Amazon.com: FoodSaver T03-0023-01 Wide-Mouth Jar Sealer: Kitchen & Dining

silpat
      Amazon.com: silpat: Home & Kitchen

Congratulations and thank you to everyone that participated! Good Luck on the Next Challenge!

What are Budget101 Challenges? Read More Here
      how are challenge winners selected? Read More Here

Congratulations!! Welcome to Budget 101, ColleenMcGovan! Enjoy!!

Thanks; Virginia

Congratulations ColleenMcGovan. WTG!

@Budget101 330298 wrote:

Congratulations to our Kitchen Gadget Challenge Winner, ColleenMcGovan. curious as to what the prize package contains?

since our member indicated that she doesn’t have a very good stovetop, we thought she’d love a steamer dish, we have a couple and it’s one of our favorite gadgets. our member also indicated in her post that she likes to bake, so we thought the silpats would come in handy for rolling out whatever pastry delights she can think of.

here are the contents of our kitchen gadget prize package:

orka steamer dish
      Amazon.com: orka steamer

misto
      Amazon.com: Misto

foodsaver handheld-
      Amazon.com: foodsaver handheld

foodsaver regular mouth jar sealer
      FoodSaver T03-0006-02P Regular-Mouth Jar Sealer: Kitchen & Dining: Amazon.com

foodsaver wide mouth jar sealer
      Amazon.com: FoodSaver T03-0023-01 Wide-Mouth Jar Sealer: Kitchen & Dining

silpat
      Amazon.com: silpat: Home & Kitchen

Congratulations and thank you to everyone that participated! Good Luck on the Next Challenge!

What are Budget101 Challenges? Read More Here
      how are challenge winners selected? Read More Here

1heartjar smilieoh my gosh, i literally started bawling when i got your pm today!

thank you so much!! i really didn’t think i had any chance of winning anything here at all, i never win anything! this is an amazing site and thank you for all that you do here.

^^amazing….yes…and full of great info. I am glad you won here. The prizes here are real unlike some other web site….

Congratulations, and what wonderful gifts! So amazing, hope you enjoy all your new gifts and blessings to all.~ladyrose

my must haves: Bunn coffeemaker, have had one for years and i love love love it!
      Kitchen Aid Mixer, great for making dough and baking.
      Blender, any kind that crushes ice, i no longer have one, as i have moved lately and it got broken.

MY wish list….Blender, food processor and food sealer.
      im really bad at brand names for the food sealer, sorry 🙂

Viewing 55 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Budget101 Discussion List Archives Frugal Savings Kitchen Gadgets that Save us Cash . . .