Budget Menu & Dirt Cheap Recipes Mixes~MYO~Copycat~Etc Karl Ratzsch’s Restaurant — Split Pea Soup with Ham

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

My dexh moved to wisconsin last spring. he lives in oshkosh and since he’s retired, he’s been exploring the state. fresh-water fishing is his passion and that’s why he chose to move to wisconsin!

when we divorced he realized what a gem he had in me when i was in the kitchen! lol! so he became very interested in cooking.

we divorced amicably and i have helped him on various recipes that he enjoyed (never gave him my secret to my duck glaze! lol!). he really liked my split pea soup and when he visited this restaurant, he ordered this soup.

he said that it was amazing and set himself the task of duplicating it and this is what he came up.

he shared what his results and i have to agree…it is good…
      karl ratzsch’s restaurant — split pea soup with ham
      2 tbs butter
      2 onions, finely chopped
      2 carrots, trimmed, peeled, and finely chopped
      2 stalks celery, trimmed and finely chopped
      1 potato, peeled and chopped
      2 smoked ham hocks (about 1 1/4 pounds)
      12-oz pkg green split peas, rinsed and sorted
      12-oz can of beer or ale
      6 to 8 cups water
      1 tsp dried thyme
      1 tsp Dijon mustard
      2 tbs cider vinegar
      salt to taste
      In a large 6 to 8-quart pot, heat the butter over medium heat until melted.

Add the onions, carrots, and celery and cook, stirring often, until the vegetables are beginning to soften, about 5 to 7 minutes.
      Add the potato, ham hocks, split peas, beer, water, thyme, and Dijon mustard and stir well. Bring the mixture to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce the heat to medium low and simmer, uncovered and stirring occasionally, until the ham and peas are very tender, about 2 to 2 1/2 hours.
      Remove the pot from the heat.

Transfer the ham hocks to a large plate and let cool. When cool enough to handle, remove and discard the bones and skin, and cut the meat into bite-size chunks. Return the meat to the pot.
      Stir the vinegar into the soup and season to taste with salt.

Reheat the soup over low heat, stir occasionally, and serve with some crusty bread. Serves 6
      :arizona:

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Budget Menu & Dirt Cheap Recipes Mixes~MYO~Copycat~Etc Karl Ratzsch’s Restaurant — Split Pea Soup with Ham