@Savin’ Moola 1663 wrote:

Anyone know another product to use instead of Jet Dry in my
      dishwasher? I have been going without for a while, and was hoping to
      find a cheaper alternative. Thanks!
      Jennie

Date: Fri Apr 28, 2006 3:32 pm
      Subject: Alternative to Jet Dry?

DRAIN THE SWAMP, #MAGA VOTE TRUMP 2020!

Yep Heather is right, Vinegar! I just learn this today from a lady at Whole Foods, tried it and it really works.

I use vinegar in mine also, but I can honestly say, it doesn’t work quite as well…but for the price difference/savings–it’ll do. 🙂
      That being said, I read somewhere…but don’t remember exactly where, vinegar isn’t actually good for your dishwasher and/or lines…snap, wish I could remember what all it said and where I read it…

Liss
      Keymaster

@MrsPaws 213960 wrote:

I use vinegar in mine also, but I can honestly say, it doesn’t work quite as well…but for the price difference/savings–it’ll do. 🙂
      That being said, I read somewhere…but don’t remember exactly where, vinegar isn’t actually good for your dishwasher and/or lines…snap, wish I could remember what all it said and where I read it…

From the jetdry website (https://www.jetdry.com/faqs.shtml): JET-DRY® products are a special combination of nonionic surfactants, a chelating agent, dye, and fragrance* (*for our fragranced products).

Basically, what that says to me is that Jet Dry is purely an acid. I’m currently testing Citric Acid (powdered) dissolved in water and running the dishes through to see if it works as well or better. I’ll post results later in the week.

I was wondering about your experiment with the citric acid…how did it go?

bethaliz6894
      Participant

i have heard people use lemonade powder from koolaid. i guess it is full of citric acid, people say it is a great cleaner for the dishwasher.

I’ve actually got a recipe that calls for a bunch of packs of lemon flavored kool aid-the unsweetened kind…don’t remember where I got it from though.

bethaliz6894
      Participant

have you tried it yet? i am wondering what you think of it.

Not yet..I was waiting for feedback from others.
      I’m seriously thinking about trying it.
      The recipe I’ve got also calls for kosher salt and the lemon kool aid…along with the usual ingredients.

bethaliz6894
      Participant

this is to be used all the time, not just for cleaning the dishwasher? i havent heard of the one you are talking about. i have only heard about the lemonade to be used when there are no dishes in the washer.

This is what I’ve got, but at the time I saved it, I didn’t note where I got the recipe from…and this recipe isn’t just for cleaning a dishwasher, it’s for running it to clean them, but as I stated earlier, I haven’t tried this one yet. I’m getting low on my detergent, so I guess this is what I’ll do next…;)

Homemade Dishwasher Detergent and Rinse Agent

5 simple ingredients

* 1 – 55 ounce box of Arm & Hammer® Super Washing Soda = approx. $3.99.
      * 1 – 76 ounce box of 20 Mule Team® Borax = approx. $4.99.
      * 1 – 48 ounce box of coarse Kosher Salt = $1.99 I cook with kosher salt as well.
      * 1 – 2 ounce container of food-grade Citric Acid = $1.15 You can find this online or at your local brewery or specialty beer store.

If you cannot find this you can substitute 10-15 lemon Kool-aid envelopes per batch **the small unsweetened ones**, if you use any other flavor you could easily color the inside of your dishwasher (you need 10-15 envelopes to equal the 1-2oz of straight citric acid.) If you do not use some form of citric acid… you will most likely have the cloudy residue left that most “green” cleaners leave.
      * 1 – gallon of White Vinegar = $1.79 Yet another excellent use for a nearly universal cleaning agent.

A simple recipe & making of a batch

each batch yields 20 ounces of resulting product which you should store in some type of container you were going to dispose of. I suggest something 1 gallon size or smaller so you can fit it under your kitchen sink; old coffee cans work great. Feel free to double the batch, or multiply it accordingly to create any amount you’d like.

Start with these 5 ingredients:
      2. Into a 32 ounce container – add 1/2 cup of borax:
      3. Add 1/2 cup of washing soda:

Add 1/4 cup of citric acid:
      5. Add 1/4 cup of kosher salt:
      6. Put the lid on & shake it up good:

Label container
      8. Fill “Rinse Aid” compartment with white vinegar:

When you do a load use 1 tablespoon of detergent per load.

This detergent will clump together but it doesn’t matter… just scoop out your tablespoon & forget about the clumps! It clumps because of the citric acid.

bethaliz6894
      Participant

thank you so very much for this, i have everything except 15 packets of lemonade(close but now quite). i will be trying this soon. i will let you know how it works.

Tuesday, I found a off brand Jet Dry wanna be product. Same color, same sized bottle and shape, and the viscosity looked about right. Haven’t tried it yet so I don’t know how well it works, but it only was $1…much cheaper than the brand name product.
      Will post an opinion about it as soon as I start to use it.

I’ve had it in my dishwasher for a couple days now…and It’s and ‘all right’ product. Not great or fantastic, but ok.

Vinegar, its the cheapest and works. You can also use a cheaper detergent when you use vinegar. busy bee

I use lemon juice because of the citric acid that is naturally found in lemon juice. I also make my own dishwasher detergent pellets and add lemon juice to the dry mixture before I put it in the molds to set up. (lemon juice is about three cents an ounce)

Let me get my pictures together and I’ll put together an article on making dishwasher pellets with natural citric acid. Citric acid attracts water (hygroscopic) which means that powder solutions that contain it clump and form detergent clods. That’s why I started pelleting the detergent.

After the molds have set up and the excess moisture has dried, I put them in a large airtight jar and use them whenever they are needed.

@jrodgers 247915 wrote:

Let me get my pictures together and I’ll put together an article on making dishwasher pellets with natural citric acid. Citric acid attracts water (hygroscopic) which means that powder solutions that contain it clump and form detergent clods. That’s why I started pelleting the detergent.

After the molds have set up and the excess moisture has dried, I put them in a large airtight jar and use them whenever they are needed.

That sounds interesting…Can’t wait to see your photos and read about the process!

I recently saw a television report on reconstituted lemon juice. It concluded that most shoppers do no know what they are getting. Their independent testing showed some bottles contained less than 5% lemon juice, and others contained up to 25%.

I love the smell of lemon in my dishwasher, but I want to make sure that I am using lemon juice not colored water. For that reason, my plan is to continue using lemons from my own trees and use white vinegar when those are not available.

If the lemon juice isn’t at a high enough concentration, it will not work as a rinse agent, so don’t waste your money. You may want to try a brand name lemon juice, at least then you might have a complaint contact number.

I’ll keep you updated when I have more information – JRodgers

Viewing 18 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.