Budget Menu & Dirt Cheap Recipes Cooking for Two ISO: Ideas for Phyllo Dough Uses

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author

Anyone have any dinner ideas using filo dough??

You can use it as a crust on quiche and pot pies. Consider a summer vegetable quiche if you have a garden and need to use up the vegetables soon.

Otherwise, you can make savory turnovers with spinach, feta, ricotta, onion, egg, and butter. Brown the onions in the butter, then mix with dried, defrosted frozen spinach in a ricotta (with sea salt) and egg base with feta. Add whatever seasonings you want. I’m sure that there is a name for this dish, I just don’t know what it is.

I’ve honestly used both puff pastry and phyllo as the base for individual pizzas before; you cook the dough mostly through so it rises a little and crisps on bottom, then add the sauce and cheese. This is not a particularly good idea, but it works if you want pizza.

You can also just use them as bread sticks the same way you can make them out of puff pastry. Brush with butter, add garlic powder, and put a little bit of parmesan cheese on top.

I haven’t tried this before, but I’m sure you can make baked sandwiches with it, like swiss and ham.

Those little turnovers are Spanikopita. make them bite sized or single serving size. Ive had them with a creamed salmon filling as well. The folding teckniques are available on line. Search “folding phylo pastry” Works very well for dessert too. You can line tart pans. bake before filling with fresh or canned fruit and top with whipped cream. Low on whipped cream? First pour milk custard onto fruit then you just need a spot of cream. if you are going to try something of your own there are a couple of things to remember. its delicate so keep it covered with a lightly dampened tea towel so it won’t dry out.whenever you leave it. brush on melted butter between layers of pastry before you begin to fold up or roll up your creation. Good Luck!

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Budget Menu & Dirt Cheap Recipes Cooking for Two ISO: Ideas for Phyllo Dough Uses