ISO Homemade ice cream cake recipe

Budget101 Discussion List Archives Budget101 Discussion List ISO Homemade ice cream cake recipe

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • Author

Hi!

My first job as a teen was at Dairy Queen and I made the cakes. The formula for the “crunchy” stuff in the center of the cake is crunched up chocolate cookies covered with magic shell. It's that easy!

One layer of soft serve ice cream, cold fudge, cookie crunch, layer of soft serve again. To decorate I used whipped cream frosting and icing gel.

Quite easy to MYO! the tip about using hot water to cut the cake is spot on! Keep a tall container of HOT water next to you when cutting cake and it should go very smooth. We recommended taking the cake out for 20 mins before cutting however we kept the cakes in a super cold deep freeze (called a flash freezer). I would think if you are going to freeze it in a standard house freezer maybe 10 mins before so the knife can pass easier. Any longer you may risk it being a big melted mess!

HTH,
      Jacqui C. in NE Ga.

On Tue, Jul 1, 2008 at 9:16 PM, Jennifer <majajv@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi:

This is one of our favorite recipes and I’ve made it several times and it comes out great every time. It is wonderful and I’d take this over the ice cream cake from the store.

It isn’t the absolute cheapest thing to make but compared to a prepared one I suppose it is.

I buy the Save A Lot brand of ice cream sandwiches ($1.99) and their whipped topping (.89) and chocolate pudding (.49) and don’t find that the flavor suffers. They happen to sell name brand hot fudge topping for $1.50. I’ve been using little mini Oreo packs that were for lunches but not used and that works great to just crunch them up a bit while still in the bag and then add. I’ve never measured the resulting amount of cookie but it seems about right to me.

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Budget101 Discussion List Archives Budget101 Discussion List ISO Homemade ice cream cake recipe