ISO: Ah-So sauce

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author

I’m dying to find the recipe for Ah-So sauce the chinese style kind. My family loves this stuff!! It’s great on wings and ribs.

Which one? There are a lot of Ah-So sauces?

Allied Old English, Inc. :: Ah-So Brand ::

Found this recipe:
      Chinese Barbecue Sauce (Char Sui)

1/2 cup dry sherry
      1/2 cup hoisin sauce
      1/2 cup soy sauce
      1/2 cup sugar
      6 cloves garlic
      1 tablespoon black bean paste
      1 teaspoon five-spice powder
      1 tablespoon chopped shallot
      1 teaspoon salt

Mix ingredients in the top of a double boiler and simmer 10 to 15 minutes. Allow sauce to cool before using.

Source: https://www.cooks.com/rec/view/0,191,133191-240193,00.html

@hostnickj 128618 wrote:

I’m dying to find the recipe for Ah-So sauce the chinese style kind. My family loves this stuff!! It’s great on wings and ribs.

OMG, This brings back some hilarious memories. I remember the first time I came home from school and I asked mom what was for dinner. (Mind you, she has a Thick Maine Accent) and she said,

“we’re having ahss-hawl sauce.”

I was like “We’re eating WHAT??” :107:

Wow I haven’t had it in YEARS, it’s something I’ve only seen for sale in New England. I’ll see if I can duplicate the flavor based on memory and share the recipe.

My favorite thing is we used to make pork kebobs. You cut up mac apple chunks and roll them in brown sugar/cinnamon (dash of nutmeg) until they’re well coated and then alternate them with chunks of pork marinated in ah-so sauce. Then grill it on medium heat, turning a couple times, Super delicious and oh so good. You can add onions too, they actually taste good with the apples, believe it or not.

Thanks for the memories! I’ll see if I can find you a recipe!

the chinese style one (the red sauce)

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.