Sizzlin’ Hot Deals Stockpilers-R-Us is there anything you wont or dont stockpile?

Viewing 18 reply threads
  • Author
      Avatar for bethaliz6894bethaliz6894
      Participant

i have been stockpiling for 5 years. i seem to stick to the same things to stockpile but at times it gets boring. besides fresh fruits and vegetables, what don’t you stock pile?

sour cream and cottage cheese —

everything else gets:

frozen, dehydrated or canned.

Participant

i have frozen cream cheese, however, it didn’t thaw to well. I probably wont do that again. 🙂

LOL… I’ve done that too… the other thing I will not freeze is Mayo.

Participant

lol! i have done the mayo too.

dh and i were only together about a year and we were living day to day, hotdogs was a gourmet meal at that point. times were really hard.

i had opened a brand new jar of mayo and the compressor goes out on the fridge. so i froze the mayo thinking it will be ok. when we thawed it out it was so gross, i didn’t eat mayo for a very long time.

interesting about the mayo. When i was stockpiling it was mainly already canned foods. I am interested to hear what everyone posts here.

Avatar for bethaliz6894cjsmith45
      Participant

Can you dehydrate food in the oven, or do you need a special appliance for that?

I learned the hard way – don’t stockpile anything that hasn’t been tried and approved by your family! Just because it was free – didn’t mean a good deal when it came to Velveeta Shells and Cheese. Nobody at my house would eat them.

They were donated to the food pantry.

@cjsmith45 332358 wrote:

Can you dehydrate food in the oven, or do you need a special appliance for that?

It can be done both ways from what I’ve read.
      There’s a recipe that I’m gonna try soon…dehydrated steak jerky that’s done in the oven.
      It uses deer or beef round steak and the seasonings don’t include sugar…so it’s something I’m willing to try with some of the deer in the freezer.

@MrsPaws 333059 wrote:

It can be done both ways from what I’ve read.
      There’s a recipe that I’m gonna try soon…dehydrated steak jerky that’s done in the oven.
      It uses deer or beef round steak and the seasonings don’t include sugar…so it’s something I’m willing to try with some of the deer in the freezer.

we make deer jerky every year in the oven and it comes out fabulous. I have a gas stove and I found the trick is to leave the door open just a teensy bit to let the moisture escape and it will dry faster.

@cjsmith45 332358 wrote:

You can dehydrate in the oven but you really have to watch it closely and turn things often. It’s really better to get a dehydrator.

Its hard for me to stockpile since I am allergic to eggs pork and milk any suggestions?

You can store potato milk powder in place of regular powdered milk. Our local Hy-Vee store orders it in for several of us but you can find several kinds of powdered non dairy milks online. Ener G egg replacement powder or you can use flax seed in place of eggs.

You can live without pork. We’ve gone totally Vegan since I became GF. You will need to vacuum seal the egg replacement stuff into canning jars for long term storage.

Hope this helps you!

Most of the stuff I stockpile are items that we use a lot. I do freeze Cream Cheese to use in mashed potatoes, cheese cakes and dips, but then we don’t use it much as a spread. Hubby likes the containers of spreadable cream cheese and he is really the only one that uses it.

IF we use it and it is canned, dried or frozen I stock pile it.

Anything that isn’t canned home style or bought, anything I can’t freeze, I not stock pile.
      I just got some Meyer lemons which I love, they are good for you and they taste like oranges, with lemon. Someone said they are healthy and so would be lemons but who like to suck a lemon? These are easy to eat almost as easy as an orange.
      My store kept saying they get them in, I tried one a month or so ago and never could find anymore.

Yesterday I found little bags of five in each and I bought all 7 bags they had because I am gonna freeze them.
      If you freeze them, like lemons they can be taken from the freezer and grated over any food just like that meaning you get to use the whole fruit, skin and all.
      Love my orange lemons. Give them a try, you will never go back to lemons, unless you need them to drizzle on fish of course. I am sure the orange lemon version wouldn’t go good on fish, haha.

I have to make all our meals from scratch because I’m allergic to so many things. We finally realized I can’t have any gmo grains. i can’t have store bought meats because animals are feed gmo grains and its in their flesh.

i stockpile every thing i need. gf pasta is more expensive but i find the best deals i can and stockpile as much as possible. i vacuum seal grains and seeds into canning jars.

flax seeds can be used in place of eggs so i have several cases of flax seeds vacuum sealed into half pint jars. they last at least 3 years if kept vacuum sealed. White rice can be sealed into 5 gallon buckets with Oxy packets.

But brown rice has a lot of oil so it has to be vacuumed sealed into canning jars. My husband buys me half gallon canning jars to vacuum seal my brown rice and other things into. Costco has the most awesome GF flour so I vacuum seal that into the half gallon jars too.

You can pressure can chicken and beef into canning jars. Pint jars hold 1 pound of meat. I’m allergic to all of it so don’t can meat any more.

I do make huge pots of soup for dinner and then can the excess into pint jars. I try to keep at least 3 cases of assorted soup canned up at all times. I make a condensed cream of chicken soup from my own free range chickens and keep that on hand.

Condensed cream of celery soup too. I have a cheese we make out of cashews that I use in meals. I use almond milk for my cream of soups or canned coconut milk if we want it more rich.

You can keep cans of coconut milk in the fridge and use it to make whipped cream. Remove the liquid and whip the solid. Its really good!

We are in process of buying lots and lots of canned coconut milk to store up. So far we use it faster than we can buy it! I came up with 91 meals we could eat and now we are trying to stockpile for those meals.

I printed out all of the recipes and put them in a book. I added a section at the back for breads, cookies, etc that I’ve made that work for us. Good luck!

@unicorn1960 332599 wrote:

I learned the hard way – don’t stockpile anything that hasn’t been tried and approved by your family! Just because it was free – didn’t mean a good deal when it came to Velveeta Shells and Cheese. Nobody at my house would eat them.

They were donated to the food pantry.

I totally agree. Even if you find a real deal you are just wasting your money if your family won’t eat it.

My biggest thing I don’t stockpile is convenience foods. Like cake mixes, boxed mac and cheese, etc. I find that just takes up valuable space and by stocking basic ingredients you can make so much more and it is better tasting and for you both.

I agree, I don’t stockpile anything we haven’t already tried and liked. And cheese isn’t stockpiled in my house for some reason.

The thawing isn’t a problem if you use the cream cheese to make a cheese ball.

hth,
      Judy

Viewing 18 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Sizzlin’ Hot Deals Stockpilers-R-Us is there anything you wont or dont stockpile?