if you file bankruptcy do you loose all possessions?

Budget101 Discussion List Archives Budget101 Discussion List if you file bankruptcy do you loose all possessions?

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • Author
      there are 2 types a Chapter 13 is a reorganization–you list all your debts and then your counselor will work out a “payment” plan type of thing and a Chapter 7 you give everything back, except I think you can keep 1 vehicle and $1,000. I am sure it varies by state too. Also, either type you will have to take an on linecourse about debtand of course pay attorney fees and court costs.

chapter 13’s can sound good but can alsoonly to drag out the inevitable.

If you decided to to this please make sure you can afford the monthly payment plan, because if you default they will take everything just like a Chapter 7, including your house. I have seen several families do this and still lose their home.

i am like the last poster–is there any way to take on 2nd jobs for a while? Cut back to basics–no cable, no Internet, no cell phones, etc at least for a little while?

as dave ramsey says ” live like no one else, so later you can live like no one else!”

original message

Date: 7/1/2008 6:52:43 AM
      To: Budget101_@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: Budget101.com : if you file bankruptcy do you loose all possessions?

in bankruptcy do loose cars, house, furniture?
      How does this work – how does it help? Hurt?
      How long does it take ? How much does it cost?

If you cant pay things
      you owe now how will the money for the bankruptcy come about?

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Budget101 Discussion List Archives Budget101 Discussion List if you file bankruptcy do you loose all possessions?