Ideas for large family dinner?

Budget Menu & Dirt Cheap Recipes F.A.Q Ideas for large family dinner?

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      de von

My family will be having a dinner this weekend for around 20 people, and since I’m on a budget and generally only cook for myself, I’m at a loss as to what to prepare.

What are some cheap, simple meals that everyone likes that are cheap, relatively simple, and win every time? I need ideas for a large family dinner… aka, what can I tell them when they ask, “what’s for dinner”? haha

Melissa Burnell

Absolutely! Cooking for a large group on a budget can be a fun and rewarding challenge. Here are a few ideas for delicious and cost-effective meals that are sure to impress your family:

Spaghetti with Meat Sauce: A classic crowd-pleaser that’s easy to make in large quantities. Cook spaghetti noodles according to package instructions, and prepare a flavorful meat sauce using ground beef, onions, garlic, canned tomatoes, and herbs. Serve with a side of garlic bread and a green salad.

Tacos or Fajitas: Set up a DIY taco or fajita bar with various fillings like seasoned ground beef or shredded chicken, along with toppings like shredded lettuce, diced tomatoes, grated cheese, sour cream, and salsa. Serve with tortillas, rice, and beans for a satisfying and customizable meal.

Baked Ziti or Lasagna: Both of these pasta dishes are perfect for feeding a crowd. Layer cooked ziti or lasagna noodles with a hearty meat sauce, ricotta or cottage cheese, and shredded mozzarella. Bake until bubbly and golden. Serve with a side of garlic bread and a salad.

Chili: A warm and comforting option, chili is easy to make in large batches. Cook ground beef or turkey with onions, garlic, and spices like chili powder and cumin. Add canned beans, diced tomatoes, and broth. Simmer until flavors meld together. Serve with cornbread or rice.

BBQ Pulled Pork Sandwiches: Slow-cooked pulled pork is both economical and delicious. Season a pork shoulder or butt with your favorite rub or marinade, and cook it low and slow until it’s tender and easily shredded. Serve on buns with BBQ sauce and coleslaw.

Vegetable Stir-Fry: If you have vegetarian or health-conscious guests, a colorful stir-fry is a great option. Sauté a variety of fresh vegetables like bell peppers, broccoli, carrots, and snap peas. Add a flavorful sauce made from soy sauce, ginger, garlic, and a touch of honey or brown sugar. Serve with steamed rice or noodles.

Breakfast for Dinner: Who doesn’t love breakfast any time of the day? Whip up a big batch of pancakes or French toast, and serve them with scrambled eggs, bacon or sausage, and fresh fruit. It’s a crowd-pleasing and budget-friendly option.

Remember to plan your portions according to the number of guests, and consider using cost-effective ingredients like seasonal produce and pantry staples. With these ideas, you can create a delicious and satisfying family dinner without breaking the bank. Enjoy your meal and have a fantastic time with your loved ones!

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Budget Menu & Dirt Cheap Recipes F.A.Q Ideas for large family dinner?