Budget101 Discussion List Archives Home Improvement / Decor How to make a small room appear larger

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author

Some common ideas which usually work for most small rooms when you want to make them appear larger are:

Allow as much natural light to enter the room as possible

Use artificial light liberally, to keep things bright

Use an torchiere lamp or two—it will bounce light off the ceiling and reflect it back into the room

The use of mirrors is very effective, possibly ceiling to floor on a wall, or framed mirrors hung in important places and with groupings

Allow your furniture to reveal as much floor space as possible

Glass dining, coffee and end tables are ideal choices

Use open “leggy” furniture, it helps keep the space open and free

The biggest problem is using to much furniture into the space. Be realistic about your needs, keeping the above tips in mind.

I am working on making Deanne’s room look twice its size 🙂

Hope this helps :dance:

Another big thing that helps a room to look larger is a light color on the walls and carpeting.

Another big thing that helps a room to look larger is a light color on the walls and carpeting.

The floor thing is so true. I swear this house could feel so much bigger if we just cleaned it up and organized things better.

The floor thing is so true. I swear this house could feel so much bigger if we just cleaned it up and organized things better.

I am excited about really getting into transforming Deanne’s room!!!

I am excited about really getting into transforming Deanne’s room!!!

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Budget101 Discussion List Archives Home Improvement / Decor How to make a small room appear larger