Budget101 Discussion List Archives Tips-n-Tricks How to Clean a Front Loading Washing Machine

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author

If you have a front loading washing machine, chances are you it has mold built up in it. Here’s how to properly clean it out.

While it is still empty, pour in 1-2 cups of bleach and then run it on the hottest cycle possible.

Then, in a spray bottle combine 1/4 c. bleach & 1 cup of water.

Wait for the cycle to complete, with gloves spray around the seal with the bleach spray mix.

An old toothbrush works great for getting into those hard to reach places around the seal too!

Once you’ve scrubbed it all thoroughly, use paper towels or a clean cotton cloth to wipe away any mold that you just scrubbed off.

Wipe the area clean (& dry!)

image Credit

Attachments:
      You must be logged in to view attached files.

I’ve had front loader washing machines since the mid-50’s. Have never had a mold problem or an odor. The original front loaders were Westinghouse and the mfgr advised to leave the washer door ajar when not in use.

When I replaced my last set of Westinghouse machines, I bought a set of Asko’s (Swedish) because of size. The washer has an inner door, which can be left ajar, and an outer door which keeps the set neat looking. When possible, leave the washer door ajar.

Avatar for luckybolideGardenGirl22
      Participant

I have also found that when i leave the door ajar it does not leave an odor. This was discovered well after money was wasted using expensive washing
      machine cleaner and running it thru the “basket clean” cycle which only provided a temporary solution.

I’ve had a front loader now, for about 7 years and have never had a problem. One thing I’ve always done, without being told to, is I always, always leave the door open when I’m done. I don’t close the door.

To me, it was just common sense.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Budget101 Discussion List Archives Tips-n-Tricks How to Clean a Front Loading Washing Machine