Budget Menu & Dirt Cheap Recipes General Recipes How to boil eggs?

Viewing 12 reply threads
  • Author

I mean, I know how…. for the most part. What I always forget is, do I poke holes in the eggs or not?

and I know you add them to a cold pot of water and bring it to a boil…. then what?

any help will be greatly appreciated…. I have to make eggs for thanksgiving.

I really dont know what the professional way to do it is, but I cook mine for about 5 minutes on a rolling boil and then I let them sit for about 5 more minutes then crack..I have never poked them, but I would like to know why you would poke them???

Thanks!!

I know with the egg boilers…. or at least the one my grandmother used when I was younger… it said to poke holes in them, I guess to keep them from cracking.

I dont know though, thats why I asked.

Thanks, so much!

oh ok, I see what you mean. I am not sure cause i have never used one… 😉

yeah, well I will be doing it the old fashioned way so I guess you answered my question.
      Thanks again.

I cover mine with cold water, bring to a boil, cover and turn off heat. Let sit 20 minutes, then rinse in cold water. Yolks never turn grey-green with this method.

@DohDohBird 92887 wrote:

I cover mine with cold water, bring to a boil, cover and turn off heat. Let sit 20 minutes, then rinse in cold water. Yolks never turn grey-green with this method.

I do mine the exact same way. My step-mom taught me how to do this when she used to work with a community program to help people learn to cook. I sprinkle mine with salt before I add water and this is suppose to seal them and they won’t crack.

It works for me everytime.

I poke a hole in the big end where there is a pocket of air, which allows the air to escape when the egg heats up in the boiling water and avoid potential cracking of the shell.

adding plenty of salt also helps them peel better. But the prettiest peeled eggs are older eggs. Fresh eggs have never turned out as well for me as older eggs.

I have mad deviled eggs for any family dinner we have had since I was about 11 years old. Also I think that you should let them hard boil for atleast 20 minutes. Then soak them in cold water for atleast 10 minutes.

I hope this helps these steps always work for me !!!

I always add the salt in the water to if the eggs are fresh from the store.
      You can keep eggs safely for up to three weeks. The older they are the easier they will peel.

man reading these posts, i never knew it was so many ways to boil eggs. I usually just put them in some cold water bring them to a boil let them boil about 15 to 20 minutes and then put them in some cold water for about 5 minutes and peel. I usually don’t have many problems with eggs, they usually turn out good.

I do the same thing. Once the water boils, I take them off the heat and place the lid on them. I then let them soak in the boiling water for 13 minutes (not sure where that number came from – i also cook rice for 13 mins) to get a perfect yellow color.

I’ve been having trouble peeling them, maybe they were too fresh or too hot. Do they peel better when cooled down? I was thinking of putting them in the fridge to cool before I peel since last time was a disaster and I lost half the white parts.

Older ones peel better and also after they have cooled down substantially. Peel under a faucet helps (water gets between egg & shell and helps separate).

Viewing 12 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Budget Menu & Dirt Cheap Recipes General Recipes How to boil eggs?