Budget Menu & Dirt Cheap Recipes Dietary Concern Recipes How do I convert a Paleo Bread recipe to a Bread Machine Recipe?

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author

Hello. Any Paleo style eaters out there?

I’d like to use my bread machine to make some paleo breads. Does anyone have a tried and true method for any of the following:

1) Converting ANY bread recipe to a bread machine one (I only see it listed the other way around)

2) Converting a wheat-based or high carb-based bread recipe to Paleo.

3) Paleo bread machine recipes!

I am a fan of coconut flour, more so than almond flour, but I will use a variety of flours, including non-paleo in limited quantities (just absolutely no wheat).

Looking forward to your replies…. and ideas, insight, anything helpful (If my bread fails I’ll throw it in the next meatloaf batch shame smilie)

Avatar for TheBingeThinkerFreebieQueen
      • Reduce the yeast to 1 teaspoon for a 1-1/2-pound machine or to 1-1/4 teaspoons for a 2-pound machine.
      • Reduce the amount of flour to 3 cups for a 1-1/2-pound machine or 4 cups for a 2-pound machine.
      • Reduce all other ingredients by the same proportion as you reduce the flour. If a range is given for the flour, use the lower amount to figure the reduction proportion. For example, for a 1-1/2-pound bread machine, a recipe calling for 1 package of yeast and 4 1/2 cups flour would be decreased to use 1 teaspoon yeast and 3 cups flour. Since this is a one-third decrease in the flour, also decrease the remaining ingredients by one-third.
      • If a bread uses 2 or more types of flour, add the flour amounts together and use that total as the basis for reducing the recipe. The total amount of flour used should be only 3 or 4 cups, depending on the size of your loaf.
      • Use bread flour instead of all-purpose flour or add 1 to 3 tablespoons gluten flour (available at health-food stores) to the all-purpose flour. If your recipe contains any rye flour, add 1 tablespoon gluten flour even when bread flour is used.
      • Add ingredients in the order specified by the bread machine manufacturer.
      • Add dried fruits or nuts at the raisin bread cycle, if your machine has one. If it doesn’t, add them according to the manufacturer’s directions.
      • Don’t use light-colored dried fruits, such as apricots or golden raisins, because preservatives added to these dried fruits inhibit yeast performance. Choose another fruit or use only the dough cycle of your machine, lightly knead in the fruit by hand before shaping the bread, then bake it in the oven.
      • When making dough to shape by hand, you may want to knead in a little more flour after removing the dough from the machine. Knead in just enough additional flour to make the dough easy to handle.
      • For breads made with whole wheat or rye flour or other whole grains, use the whole grain cycle, if your machine has one.
      • For sweet or rich breads, first try the light-crust color setting or sweet bread cycle, if available.
      • For future reference, record how much additional liquid or flour you added.

This is wonderful FreebieQueen! Great details that I can really use. I already figured out the regular gluten to paleo conversion, but I’m still using the oven.

With summer coming who wants to use the oven. One more quick question… Does anyone out there know what setting I would use for a bread that does not use yeast?

For example, if I need to pop it in the oven right away per conventional instructions, how would I skip the rise and knead settings on my bread machine. Any tricks? (Sorry the bread machine was an awesome rummage find and I’m still learning how to use it).

Thank you so much!

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Budget Menu & Dirt Cheap Recipes Dietary Concern Recipes How do I convert a Paleo Bread recipe to a Bread Machine Recipe?