How can I feed a family of 5 on $300 budget?

Budget101 Discussion List Archives Budget101 Discussion List How can I feed a family of 5 on $300 budget?

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • Author

Something that is really helping my budget is beans. They are very healthy and filling. I make baked beans, vegetarian chili, refried beans for meatless tacos and rice and beans.

I use lentils to make soups.
      As often as I can I make my own breads and rolls. I try and fill out a meal by having bread with it. For spaghetti I make my own french loaves and turn them into garlic bread.

I make yorkshire pudding whenever I cook anything in the oven (not just beef).
      I find frozen vegetables taste much better than canned and are a very good price. I steam them in the microwave and they come out similar to fresh. I often have extra raw carrots and homemade dip to fill out a meal.

Carrots are always a good price.
      To stretch meats I make a lot of casseroles and meat pies. Something like a stroganoff with lots of noodles and a side of vegetables stretches a small amout of meat a long way. Soups made from leftover chicken or beef and lots of vegetables is another
      way to stretch meat.

I try and buy my meat on sale. When it is on sale I will stock up and freeze it.
      I do not buy too many package foods. I do not buy individual puddings, fruit snacks, cheese strings or baggies of chips.

Lunches are sandwiches, soups, salads, macaroni and cheese, cheese and crackers and fruit. I rarely buy cookies. I often buy cake mixes on sale and make plain cakes without icing for lunch snacks.

I very seldom buy chips, we make a lot of popcorn for a crunchy snack (made in a pot, not microwave).
      Carrie

mkroom4trble wrote:I have 300 to spend on grocery every month

Be smarter than spam. See how smart SpamGuard is at giving junk email the boot with the All-new Yahoo! Mail

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Budget101 Discussion List Archives Budget101 Discussion List How can I feed a family of 5 on $300 budget?