Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author

I’m really having to tighten our budget belts…so that equals making more items at home that i usually purchase.
      i’ve been researching myo yogurt, cottage cheese, sour cream, and buttermilk. these is at least a million and one recipe for these…how do you make these products? tried and true???

@MrsPaws 340397 wrote:

I’m really having to tighten our budget belts…so that equals making more items at home that i usually purchase.
      i’ve been researching myo yogurt, cottage cheese, sour cream, and buttermilk. these is at least a million and one recipe for these…how do you make these products? tried and true???

i have made greek yogurt before, but it was with a yogurt maker.

i have seen a few people do the same recipe using a crock pot with great results. my mom used to make cottage cheese, ill ask her about the recipe, but i remembered it took a few days and kinda made the kitchen smell a bit. good luck

Here is my tried and true method for making homemade yogurt, no special equipment needed. I used store bought milk (skim, 1%, 2% or whole, which ever you prefer).

I heat 2 quarts of milk just to the boiling point and then allow it to cool to about 115 degrees. Pour one 10 gram packet of yogurt starter in a bowl and add about 1/2 cup of the milk that is at 115 degrees. I buy the yogurt starter at my local health food store.

I have always used Yogourmet freeze-dried yogurt starter. It’s kind of expensive (about $5 for 6 packets). You can also substitute one cup of plain yogurt with active cultures for the dried yogurt starter.

I would use my own homemade yogurt in place of the yogurt starter when I had it available. I have also tried purchasing store-bought plain yogurt to use in the place of the yogurt starter, but it didn’t create as firm a yogurt as using the freeze-dried starter. Once the starter is dissolved, poor the bowl of starter/milk mixture into the rest of the milk that is still at about 115 degrees.

I have used several methods to make the yogurt. At one point, I had a Yogourmet yogurt maker. though it was very easy with the yogurt maker, i hated the space it took up in my kitchen.

when i discovered that i could make yogurt in canning jars and a cooler, i got rid of the yogurt maker. though i didn’t do it, it is probably a good idea to start with sterilized jars that have cooled to room temperature. i just filled quart jars with the yogurt, put them in a cooler, and left them on my counter over night.

in the morning, i had wonderful yogurt.

some other thoughts: don’t put flavorings in your yogurt until after the yogurt has set and you have thoroughly cooled it. i never had good results with flavoring my yogurt, but i would be interested in hearing from other who have. i used the yogurt mainly for making smoothies and frozen yogurt.

also, the lower the fat in the milk you are using, the less firm the finished yogurt will be. i counteracted this problem by adding unflavored gelatin that i added with the yogurt starter. also, once you have made your first batch of yogurt, you can use a cup of your own plain yogurt in place of the yogurt starter to save money.

search online for Yogourmet’s instruction manual. It will give you a good run down on making the yogurt. The only change would be using jars and a cooler, and it may take longer to set.

Good luck!

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.