- This topic has 1 reply, 2 voices, and was last updated January 5, 2014 at 8:16 pm by .
- January 4, 2014 at 8:47 pm #296969mos
Homemade Soup Base — Vegetable Broth
2 quarts water
2 cup chopped vegetables, unpeeled
1/2 cup chopped onion or leek
4 sprigs of fresh thyme or 1 tsp dried
2 bay leaves
1/2 cup fresh parsley or 1 tbs dried
1 tsp whole coriander, lightly crushed
1 tsp whole pepper, lightly crushed
1-2 tsp salt
Place everything but the salt in a 4 – 6 quart saucepan. Bring to a boil and then reduce to a simmer for 2 – 4 hours, or until vegetables are very soft.
Pour the broth through a sieve and discard the vegetables and seasonings.
Add salt to taste. Start with 1 tsp and taste.
Reduce salt even further if other salty ingredients are being used together with the broth in the final dish (sausage, cheese or ham, for instance).
Cool broth and store in the refrigerator for up to 5 days or freeze for up to 3 months.
- January 5, 2014 at 4:59 pm #447897Jasmine23hey, great! I am going to try this. Thanks for sharing this recipe and happy new Year.
- January 5, 2014 at 8:16 pm #447910mos
Hope you like it! It’s works with whatever leftover veggies you have on hand;-D
AND Happy New Year to you!!
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.