Budget Menu & Dirt Cheap Recipes F.A.Q homemade pasta

This topic contains 10 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by bethaliz6894 May 1, 2013 at 12:35 am.

• Author

Oh man, I have to be crazy. I made 3 pounds of homemade pasta to and I do not own a pasta roller. I mixed by hand, rolled it out with a rolling pin, and cut it with a knife.

what could I be thinking? I know what I am thinking now…glad I am not Italian. I will never do that again.

Supper best be the best one ever!

ok, here is my question. when i was rolling it out, i did it in 4 balls, the first one or two went ok. but by the fourth ball, I couldn’t get the dough to stay rolled out.

it kept springing back into place and I have some thick pasta. What did I do wrong? I have all of this stuff in the freezer drying.

I am making chicken and dumplings tonight. How long will this take to boil?

Liss
    Keymaster

@bethaliz6894 281166 wrote:

Oh man, I have to be crazy. I made 3 pounds of homemade pasta to and I do not own a pasta roller. I mixed by hand, rolled it out with a rolling pin, and cut it with a knife. what could I be thinking? I know what I am thinking now…glad I am not Italian. I will never do that again. Supper best be the best one EVER!

OK, here is my question. When I was rolling it out, I did it in 4 balls, the first one or two went ok. but by the fourth ball, I couldn’t get the dough to stay rolled out. it kept springing back into place and I have some thick pasta. What did I do wrong? I have all of this stuff in the freezer drying. I am making chicken and dumplings tonight. How long will this take to boil?

It depends- what kind of flour did you use?

It really needs to be rolled through an extractor to get it really thin. It’s hard to get it super thin by roller. When you cook the noodles, it will again depend on how thick it is and how you like it. Bring plenty of water (huge pot!) with a dash of salt to a boil and you’ll probably need about 5 minutes if it’s as thick as my home-rolled was.

As for Drying- you want to leave it hanging Out to dry. You’re actually just freezing it which will increase the cooking time. If it’s too thick, think LASAGNE!

Also, if you get sick of rolling it out, roll it into “logs” cut them into 1/4″ pieces and stick your finger in them to made an indent like “shell” pasta. I used to do this too back in the day when I didn’t have an extruder/roller.

that is a realy good idea on how to make shell pasta. that is the best thing about pasta, It can come in many shapes and no one cares.

I used all purpose flour. is there a special flour I should have used?

FreebieQueen

@bethaliz6894 281375 wrote:

that is a realy good idea on how to make shell pasta. that is the best thing about pasta, It can come in many shapes and no one cares.

I used all purpose flour. is there a special flour I should have used?

Usually for pasta you would use Semolina flour, but it’s NOT easy to find and when you do find it, it can be expensive compared to regular flour. I just bought some a few weeks ago at the Christmas tree shop for about $3- which is about double the price of AP flour.

I always add herbs and seasonings to my homemade pastas, so AP flour usually works fine for us.

Thank you, I have learned so much from you. I am going to try and find this flour.

Can you believe this, dh and dd want me to make this again today. with the screw ups! omg!

i wanted to die. how am i going to remember what i screwed up? i don’t even remember the recipe i used.

it was that bad, i didn’t keep it. 🙂

Liss
    Keymaster

@bethaliz6894 289031 wrote:

Can you believe this, dh and dd want me to make this again today. WITH the screw ups! OMG! I wanted to die. how am I going to remember what I screwed up? i don’t even remember the recipe i used. it was that bad, i didn’t keep it. 🙂

Ann, try this one, it’s one of our favorites and you don’t need any toppings (sauce, etc) just a dash of garlic butter. The kids request it all the time.

Budget101.com – – Make Your Own Pizza Pasta | How to Make Pasta | Pasta Recipes

Thank you Liss, this looks a lot easier than the first time I made it. this is the recipe I am using. I already have the chicken boiling so I that should be done with some good broth.

DH is home this afternoon and he is going to help me roll out the dough. that is going to be nice.

The pasta came out really nice last night. It was much easier this time than the last. dh said he would help me roll put the dough. that was until he saw how hard it was.

His was of helping was to order me the 3 roller pasta attachment to my Kitchenaid stand mixer. I am thinking maybe it was a good idea to make this while he was home on a day off. Still being out of work I am worried about the dough.

🙂 but we were able to use some gift cards to amazon that we had stored up.

Your recipes are great, thank you for you hard work you have put in on this site.

Liss
    Keymaster

@bethaliz6894 289295 wrote:

The pasta came out really nice last night. It was much easier this time than the last. dh said he would help me roll put the dough. that was until he saw how hard it was. His was of helping was to order me the 3 roller pasta attachment to my Kitchenaid stand mixer. I am thinking maybe it was a good idea to make this while he was home on a day off. Still being out of work I am worried about the dough. 🙂 but we were able to use some gift cards to amazon that we had stored up.

Your recipes are great, thank you for you hard work you have put in on this site.

Hehe, don’t you love the way husbands “help” , that’s exactly how I managed to get the attachments for my kitchenaid as well (& a pasta drying rack too!). There’s a little bit of a learning curve with the attachments, mainly because it just doesn’t look like it’s going to work, but it will. I love fresh pasta, it’s so yummy!

I’m glad you’re enjoying the recipes :loveshower:

I made spaghetti yesterday. omg! i will never buy boxed pasta again.

this was 100% better and almost as easy as a box. from measuring the flour to eating it was 30 minutes. no kidding!

tomorrow is beef and noodles.

i am going to make thick linguine noodles and but them short. then on thursday i am going to make linguine with cheese sauce. i think my kids are going to have ‘beer’ bellies from the pasta.

I made more pasta tonight, I am using a cooking rack propped on paper towels…I think I am going to add a pasta drying rack to my amazon wish list. this worked ok, but it was a little testy when it came to actually hang the pasta. I am having fun playing with my new toys.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login Register

Budget Menu & Dirt Cheap Recipes F.A.Q homemade pasta