Budget101 Discussion List Archives Pet Care Homemade flea shampoo for dogs

Viewing 16 reply threads
  • Author

Has anyone tried to make their own homemade flea shampoo? I found a recipe, but it didnt work, so I am hoping someone on here might have one?
      thanks

None really work. I will say though dawn dish soap will work if you just want to get LIVE fleas off. Take some of the soap and create a necklace with the soap, this creates a barrier the fleas won’t cross.

Then use a lot and soap the dog up. Either they will be drowned by the soap or they will jump off. Now like I said this will only get rid of live fleas.

Michelle

FreebieQueen

Then, when they are thoroughly dry, dust them with diatomaceous earth and you won’t have a flea problem.

i use Dawn..to me seems it’s stuns Fleas but you have to pick them off your dog..with the Dawn on them..I had to though break down and buy flea shampoo from the Vet and Front Line flea and tick meds..I had to

Orange essential oil:

Antiviral, antibacterial, and antidepressant, enhances immune system & repels fleas. I found it in Rodale’s Essential Herbal Handbooks. It gives a recipe using orange eo & borax for washing floors, so i imagine you could just add orange eo to whatever solution you normally use to bathe your dog…?

Dial liquid soap is the best soap for killing fleas. It must be Dial in order to kill the fleas. Lather near the ears and under the tail so the fleas don’t run into their ears or anus to escape the soap.

Then, lather the rest of the animal and let sit on them for 5 minutes before rinsing off.

As far as treating your home, vacuum really well, throw out the vacuum bag, then sprinkle Borax on the floor along the walls in the room. Borax breaks open the hard shells of the fleas and kills them. If you vacuum every day for awhile and use the Borax, your fleas will be gone.

Borax will not hurt your pets, either.

A friend of mine worked at a Vet’s office and they sold a “miracle” pet shampoo for $12.00 for an 8 ounce bottle. The Vet had my friend fill the bottles several times. They used Lemon Joy!

Talk about profit!

It works… but you have to comb your dogs hair with a flea comb while using it or the fleas won’t come out.

@shendrickson8 253156 wrote:

A friend of mine worked at a Vet’s office and they sold a “miracle” pet shampoo for $12.00 for an 8 ounce bottle. The Vet had my friend fill the bottles several times. They used Lemon Joy!

Talk about profit!

Wow!
      Was the lemon joy diluted at all or used as purchased?

@shendrickson8 253156 wrote:

Talk about profit!

Wow, that is awful…Thanks for the tip though, if we get them next year, will definitely try!
      :23_30_109[1]:

Haven’t really tried using a homemade flea shampoo yet. I’m always thinking about the health of my dogs and I really don’t want to experiment when it comes to those things. I don’t mind paying more if it means ensuring the safety of my babies.

I tried the regular dawn, but it didn’t seem to work very well. I am going to try this, I will let you guys know if it works for me.

Is lemon Joy all that is involved in this “Homemade Flea Soap”? I had heard the original blue Dawn was a great flea shampoo as well. I have been using that, still have some fleas but it has helped.

Going to try the lemon Joy. Garlic powder on their food helps too.

Shucks, I was hoping to find a home remedy for them that was gentle on their skin because my bulldog is so sensitive to a lot of flea controls and shampoos.

It’s the beginning of flea season here in the northwest, if you want to try something more natural I would use the “no poo shampoo & conditioner” on this site. It’s just baking soda & water, and apple cider vinegar & water. I know that a good flea deter ant is citrus.

That’s why the “lemon Joy” works. You can put a few drops of lemon or orange oil in the no poo shampoo. Some people will even just rub their pets coat with an orange or lemon, this would take the oils from the rind and transfer them to the pet.

Hope this helps.

There are tons of tutorials on Youtube.

I have always used the regular blue dawn dish soap you have to lather them up really good and let it sit on the animal for at least 5 minutes or longer, then I use the shower handle attachment with the blast the one spray part that comes out after they are mostly rinsed, and spray the fleas off that are dead and kind of stuck in their fur. Then I dry them with the blow dryer on a warm to cool setting constantly moving the blowdryer. The flea product I use is from the store Meijer. Its their store brand product. The active ingredient in it is FIPRONYL. It kills live fleas, eggs and larvae. You can vacuum your house everyday to help get rid of fleas faster. But within 2 weeks your house will be rid of fleas. The fleas alive in your house will die with nothing to eat, the eggs in your house that will hatch within the 2 weeks will starve because there is nothing for them to eat on. I had this problem last year and spent tons and tons of money and NOTHING worked. I googled for days and found out about the fipronyl and it was true the fleas were gone from my house in 2 weeks. They were eating my son alive, I’m pretty sure he was allergic too, he had over 60 bites in just 2 days staying at my house. You dont have to spend the money at the vets office any flea product with fipronyl will work. The Meijer brand is 19.99 for 3 doses. My friend was priced at her vet 5 days ago for her cat 22.00 a dose per cat for frontline for them. Also you can use simple table salt on your carpet instead of the diatemacous earth. It does the same thing it dries out the flea shells killing them, sprinkle it on your carpet rub it in a bit and on the edges really good and leave it for a few days then vacuum, you can do it over and over again. Plus its super cheap. Also once you use the dawn dish soap on your pets and kill the fleas you can use a regular conditioning pet shampoo to soothe their skin.

Viewing 16 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Budget101 Discussion List Archives Pet Care Homemade flea shampoo for dogs