- December 22, 2008 at 8:44 pm #268073
1 c Yellow cornmeal
1 c Flour
1 ts Sugar
1/2 ts Salt
4 ts Baking powder
1 ea Egg
1 c Milk
1/2 c Melted shortening
Preheat oven to 425 F. Sift dry ingredients in mixing bowl. Add egg, milk,
and shortening. Stir until blended, do not overbeat. Grease 8-inch square pan
or iron skillet. Heat on top of stove and pour in batter. Bake in the oven 20
to 25 minutes.
- December 23, 2008 at 11:14 am #406837
Thank you, as simple as cornbread is to make, its amazing how many do not work. My husband is from Oklahoma, and very picky about his cornbread LOL. This one looks very good and I will definetly try it.
- December 23, 2008 at 1:09 pm #406851
This was a recipe that my dad used all the time and let me tell you what – this is the best cornbread recipe I have ever had!!!! Enjoy!!
- December 23, 2008 at 2:43 pm #406863
- December 23, 2008 at 2:52 pm #406864
You made it?? You liked it – wonderful!!!
- December 23, 2008 at 3:50 pm #406867
We always make our own cornbread & freeze any leftovers. We alwayss have cornbread for dressing. In the summer we store the cornmeal in the freezer in a plastic bag. No bugs in it.
- December 23, 2008 at 4:41 pm #406873
I store my cornbread in a plastic cylinder, no bugs that way either 🙂
- December 23, 2008 at 10:06 pm #406894
I’m usually using frozen cornbread for my stuffings also..
- December 24, 2008 at 6:44 am #406906
I never have any leftover cornbread in my house. Maybe I need to make a larger batch then we could have it easier 🙂
- December 25, 2008 at 1:05 am #406980
Cornbread with a nice pot of beans sounds delish right now 🙂
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.