Homemade Butter

Viewing 17 reply threads
  • Author

I made my own butter last week and I would like to share it.

Add 1/2 cup of heavy cream in a mason jar (filled halfway). I used cold cream and a very cold marble. Add the marble to the cream and shake the jar.

Don’t shake very hard and this takes about 15-20 minutes. The butter will form as a light yellow ball in the jar. Shake some more to get out the buttermilk.

Pour off the buttermilk and take out the butter and knead it under cold water to rinse off any leftover milk. This will keep the butter from getting rancid. I put the butter in a bowl and folded it with a spatula and rinsed until the water was clear.
      After kneading add some salt.

I didn’t want salted butter so I add enough to keep it from spoiling.
      I got 1/2 cup of butter and !/2 cup of buttermilk. The butter is holding great in the fridge and I’ve used it in my cooking.
      I really hope you enjoy this. It’s also get for kids.

They can help with the shaking of the jar. :002:

MMMM.. I love homemade butter and like you mentioned, it’s alot of fun for the kids! Don’t forget that the buttermilk makes excellent biscuits.. which in turn gives you something yummy to enjoy your butter with. 😉

We usually buy our butter from the Amish in Ethridge Tn. But it’s a pretty good drive for us, especially with the price of gas right now.
      I may have to try this just to see how it compares, plus have buttermilk too. 🙂

If you want to make a bigger amount you can also make butter with a mixer (stand or hand) and in a food processor. Not as fun but it gets the job done. Salt is not necessary, unsalted or salted fresh butter usually will keep in the refrigerator for about 2 weeks.

Hope this helps. Thanks; Virginia

@MrsPaws 243264 wrote:

We usually buy our butter from the Amish in Ethridge Tn. But it’s a pretty good drive for us, especially with the price of gas right now.
      I may have to try this just to see how it compares, plus have buttermilk too. 🙂

A 16 oz container of heavy cream/whipping cream at Walmart is $2.28. That’s 2 cups of cream, so you could make about 2 cups of butter which is 1 pound and 2 cups of buttermilk. I think a pound of butter is around $2.50.

Plus you get buttermilk for free. So if you use all the cream to make butter you’d be making butter for .57 per 1/2 cup. And you get some great arm exercise.

weighlift  smilie

Virginia thank you for the tip on how to make a bigger batch. That will really come in handy during the holidays when I use a lot of butter.

Don’t forget you can freeze butter.
      Every trip we’ve taken to the Amish netted around 8-10 lbs butter. I could never use that much before it would go bad, so I freeze it. Should be good for at least 6 months, but I’ve actually used it, with no ill effects, after 8.

Just remember to date it when freezing.

Thanks both of you for the tips!

I freeze butter all the time and it keeps well.

If you want to stretch margarine there is a good recipe called Butter Out of Margarine (that should be close) at CD Kitchen.

Another good recipe for stretching margarine can be found in the More-With-Less Cookbook.

@Frugal Mom 244686 wrote:

If you want to stretch margarine there is a good recipe called Butter Out of Margarine (that should be close) at cd kitchen.

i’ve made that before, here’s how i make it
      you use the following

1 pound softened stick margarine, just room temp is fine
      1 cup vegetable oil
      1 cup buttermilk

Then you stick in in a mixer bowl and basically whip it all together. It works ok for toast and spreads, pancakes and things like that. I’ve never tried it for baking, but then again, margarine doesn’t really work that great when baking either.

I found the recipe for soft margarine in More-With-Less. It’s a good way to soften the margarine for easy use. Thank you to everybody for posting their great ideas.

We made this in Kindergarten class when the Dairy Princess came to visit (yep, farming area). I tried it later, as an adult, and couldn’t get it to work…but I didn’t have the marble, I bet that’s why. Thanks for the information – and the stroll down memory lane!!

@GandKsmom 244932 wrote:

We made this in Kindergarten class when the Dairy Princess came to visit (yep, farming area). I tried it later, as an adult, and couldn’t get it to work…but I didn’t have the marble, I bet that’s why. Thanks for the information – and the stroll down memory lane!!

🙂

Ha -ha! I used the marble because I didn’t feel comfortable leaving the cream on the counter to cure overnight. I got the marble from my friends’ son.

He was so nice about it and he offered me more than one.

@lala72 243276 wrote:

A 16 oz container of heavy cream/whipping cream at Walmart is $2.28. That’s 2 cups of cream, so you could make about 2 cups of butter which is 1 pound and 2 cups of buttermilk. I think a pound of butter is around $2.50.

Plus you get buttermilk for free. So if you use all the cream to make butter you’d be making butter for .57 per 1/2 cup. And you get some great arm exercise.

weighlift  smilie

I do not understand how one starts with two cups of cream and ends up with 2 cups of butter and 2 cups of buttermilk. Please help me understand what I am missing.

Pamela

@prov31mom23 245785 wrote:

I do not understand how one starts with two cups of cream and ends up with 2 cups of butter and 2 cups of buttermilk. Please help me understand what I am missing.

Pamela

It’s all an estimate. When you shake or mix the cream, liquid comes out as it turns to butter. The liquid is buttermilk.

I made about a 1/2 cup of butter and buttermilk with 1/2 cup of cream. I was giving an example of about how much butter and buttermilk you get with 16 ounces of cream. I hope this helps you.

I couldn’t read part of the instructions because of an ad in the way. Any help?
      Thanks,
      Robin

@Robin282 246720 wrote:

I couldn’t read part of the instructions because of an ad in the way. Any help?
      Thanks,
      Robin

Yes, send a screenshot to contact @ budget101.com (spaces removed) so tech support can take a look at it, we are unable to view the issue you’re experiencing. Also, please note in your email what browser & version you’re using and if you happen to know what screen resolution you’re browsing with so we can make adjustments to the site design to fit that resolution and browser.

Tips to stretch your butter:

~Take softened butter and mix in equal parts canola oil. Place in mixer and mix well.
      Use as you would regular butter. ((Can stretch margarine the same way))

~Make a whipped spreadable butter.
      Using an electric mixer, whip 2 sticks completely softened butter and 1 cup neutral-flavored oil such as “light” olive oil or canola oil, on highest speed.
      Add oil a little at a time, stopping occasionally to scrape down bowl, until it has all been incorporated. Whip a few more minutes for good measure, until texture is uniform.
      Transfer to covered container and refrigerate.

NOTE:
      When making home made butter, can substitute 4-5 ice cubes for the marble in the jar.

@MrsPaws 247421 wrote:

Tips to stretch your butter:

~Take softened butter and mix in equal parts canola oil. Place in mixer and mix well.
      Use as you would regular butter. ((Can stretch margarine the same way))

~Make a whipped spreadable butter.
      Using an electric mixer, whip 2 sticks completely softened butter and 1 cup neutral-flavored oil such as “light” olive oil or canola oil, on highest speed.
      Add oil a little at a time, stopping occasionally to scrape down bowl, until it has all been incorporated. Whip a few more minutes for good measure, until texture is uniform.
      Transfer to covered container and refrigerate.

NOTE:
      When making home made butter, can substitute 4-5 ice cubes for the marble in the jar.

Thank you for the extra tips.

Viewing 17 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.