Budget Menu & Dirt Cheap Recipes General Recipes Homemade bread question??

Viewing 17 reply threads
  • Author

Can you use “All Purpose” flour for Bread???
      I may sound dumb, but What is the difference between all purpose and bread flour?

Anyone that has a good recipe for Bread with all purpose flour… that would be great!!

I did a recipe yesterday with all scratch ingredients off a recipe I had … and it went flat. It was good, but DENSE.
      I added all the ingredients to the breadmaker, and let it do the “work”…

I use all-purpose flour or un-bleached flour when making my homemade bread – I also use a package of yeast.

@naturalmommy 107780 wrote:

Can you use “All Purpose” flour for Bread???
      I may sound dumb, but What is the difference between all purpose and bread flour?

bread flour has more protein content than all purpose flour. some higher end all-purpose flours, such as king arthur, have a protein content closer to bread flour.

Quote:
      anyone that has a good recipe for bread with all purpose flour… that would be great!!

i did a recipe yesterday with all scratch ingredients off a recipe i had … and it went flat. it was good, but dense.
      i added all the ingredients to the breadmaker, and let it do the “work”…

all of the no-knead recipes that i have posted to the group require all purpose, preferably unbleached flour. i wonder if it is your breadmaker? many people do not like the way breadmaker bread tastes, so they let the breadmaker work the dough then they put it in an oven to cook.

I did add yeast. 🙂

Im glad to hear you can use all purpose flour. I will use a recipe I saw on here, and let you know how it goes!

Im going to try the “real homemade” from scratch. No Breadmaker. Maybe it is the breadmaker.

thank you both for all the information. 🙂

I hope all goes well…keep us updated on how it goes 🙂

Check the expiration date on your yeast. Past the expiration date and yeast will probably not work. At least that is the experience I’ve had. The yeast will die.

I always use all purpose flour. I don’t have any complaints on my bread, I don’t think the problem would be the difference in flour. Maybe the freshness of the yeast or baking powder etc if the recipe calls for that.

welp tonight s HOME made bread… old fashioned way turned out excellent!!!!!!!!!!!

thanks everyone.

I did go back to the store to buy more flour (I was out) and I bough 10 pounds of all purpose, and 5 of the bread flour.

That’s great to news!

yeah I surprised myself! LOL. In my profile, I posted pics.

Sounds like you had fun to. Good gong Lady.

I just did a loaf with all purpose flour in my bread machine. Never use anything else. Yeast dated 2006

If you keep yeast refrigerated or frozen, it will last long after exp. date.

Guess I was wrong. Sorry

I have a breadmaker I haven’t tried yet but I did buy bread maker yeast for it. Hmm..I have regular active yeast as well (for when I do it the old fashion way) so is there a difference in the two?

@JoAnn 107913 wrote:

Sounds like you had fun to. Good gong Lady.

thanks joann!! yeah, it was great!!!! 🙂

crankymae;107986 wrote:
      I just did a loaf with all purpose flour in my bread machine. Never use anything else. Yeast dated 2006

If you keep yeast refrigerated or frozen, it will last long after exp. date.

I agree… Seems in my 2 recipes, the only difference is the breadmaker. I almost dont want to use it again,lol

janice terrell;107991 wrote:
      Guess I was wrong. Sorry

Its ok! I didnt even know what the difference was and I tried with what I had. I bought 5 pounds of the bread to see if I noticed a difference in taste and texture.

:002:

@kkiriazis 107997 wrote:

I have a breadmaker I haven’t tried yet but I did buy bread maker yeast for it. Hmm..I have regular active yeast as well (for when I do it the old fashion way) so is there a difference in the two?

I dont know… Im not sure what the difference. maybe the release time?

@Janice Terrell 107991 wrote:

Guess I was wrong. Sorry

What are you wrong about? For all we know, it could have been the yeast if she didn’t proof it. Hope I didn’t offend :mylove:

Im not sure if there is a difference in the kinds of yeast. I use regular rapid rise yeast in my breadmachine or the bulk package of regular yeast from sams. Works fine.

Viewing 17 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Budget Menu & Dirt Cheap Recipes General Recipes Homemade bread question??