Budget101 Discussion List Archives Women’s Issues Home Remedies for Cramps?

Viewing 19 reply threads
  • Author

I get pretty gawd awful cramps around my time, does anyone have any advice to help ease them off? Like teas, herbs, strange cures from the old country? Anything helps.

Thank you

I’ve heard of using a heating pad on your tummy. Never tried it, but I’ve heard it works. I’d love to know how to easy up cramps in my legs.

Participant

My doctor told me to eat salads (for lunch or dinner) 1 week before my “friend” arrived and after a couple of months, the cramps were as bad–it must be something in the vegs that help with cramps because I’m still doing it after almost 25 years. I also don’t eat any fried food the week before as well. He also said a little wine won’t hurt either and that’s the best he could have given me.

Quote:
      i’d love to know how to easy up cramps in my legs.

i had a nurse tell me once to point and flex my foot on the leg that cramps, works great to get through a charlie horse really fast. something about slowly stretching the muscles to get the cramp to work out.

as for tummy cramps-i don’t have a solution for that one, sorry.

Thanks Kim for the tip, I’m trying that now. And it seems to be helping alot. Seems the older I get the more aches I feel in my legs…….growing with age…..lol…..isn’t it wonderful.

Quote:
      seems the older i get the more aches i feel in my legs…….growing with age…..lol…..isn’t it wonderful.

i hear you on that one! have aches and pains in areas of the body i never knew existed!rofl

when i was a young girl I had severe monthly cramps. Spent time up in the mountains one month with my aunt and she heated a cup of salt in a skillet and wrapped it in a towel laid it on my tummy and i slept for a few hours the cramps were gone when i woke up

For menstrual cramps alot of herbal folks recomend ginger, like ginger teas, or ginger ale. My high school nurse used to let girls lay down with a heating pad on their tummies for one class period. About 45 minutes.

For me I take a hot soaking bath and take a genric midol type product.

I was told by my doctor long ago that you have to take Tylenol or whatever before the cramps start. Once they start you are doomed. At the very first sign of my period starting, I take two Tylenol and then two more in 3 hours.

I haven’t had cramps in a very long time.

@Tarrien 104795 wrote:

I get pretty gawd awful cramps around my time, does anyone have any advice to help ease them off? Like teas, herbs, strange cures from the old country? Anything helps.

Thank you

I’ll tell you what I’ve always used, 15 drops of Motherwort Tincture (up to 10 drops more if you are overweight) in a mug of whatever kind of tea you prefer. This treatment works in 5-10 minutes.
      Try to avoid dairy products during your time as this can increase cramping. In addition to relieving cramps quickly, it is calming and works wonders during times when your nerves are frayed or you are stressed.

Motherwort Tincture (don’t bother with capsules- they’re no where nears as effective and aren’t readily absorbed by the body).

(Motherwort can be purchased at most decent health food stores for around $6 – $9 a bottle).

Quote:
      calming and works wonders during times when your nerves are frayed or you are stressed.

this is great to know, i am going to try this! need something to keep me calm some days 🙂

This may sound weird but the other day I was having really bad cramps and the only thing I had on hand was Tylenol and Excedrin back & body. I figured the Tylenol wouldn’t do much so I tried the Excedrin and believe it our not it worked pretty good and it also helped my back ache.

~ Misty

@tsgal 104844 wrote:

I’d love to know how to easy up cramps in my legs.

Sometimes leg cramps can be caused by an electrolyte imbalance or mineral deficiency. There are some suggested supplements in this article.
      Prevention’s Healing with Vitamins Leg Cramps

On a personal note, I used to have sciatica years ago. I started taking ALA (Alpha Lipoic Acid) to assist with my diabetes. Imagine my surprise when my sciatica cleared up!

When that happened, I started telling other diabetics about it. Some of them had restless leg syndrome and it stopped their restless leg syndrome! It is an antioxidant which is water soluble and it is cheap so you have nothing to lose by trying it.

It is located in the supplement aisle of any drug store or department store with a pharmacy.

Hope something in here can help you find relieve.

Gee! Great post! something for my girl’s and something for me!

Those were all good sugestions but I just take a pill and go to bed.

Thanks for the post on the site. I will check into it.

My Nana (born 1920) said her mom used to make her hot milk with pepper in it to drink. She never told me if it worked and I have never tried it.

If you can tolerate it Ibuprofen aka Motrin/tylenol works best if you take it early on… even a day or two before you would normally have cramping. I was told that it needs to be fully absorbed in your system two work best. This has helped me in the past. For natural methods, cinnamon in small amounts like on cinnamon sugar toast and Raspberry leaf tea helps.

For serious cramping and/or PMS I would talk to a gynecologist that is open minded to a mixture of alternative and conventional medicine or procedures. Good luck!

As far as leg cramping goes, I would definitely make sure that it is a benign condition first before I started treating with home rememedies. There are several serious medical conditions that can cause leg cramping, ie. pad, dvt’s, calcium deficiency, etc.

please have this checked out if you haven’t done so already. good luck!

@lcove2000 106983 wrote:

As far as leg cramping goes, I would definitely make sure that it is a benign condition first before I started treating with home rememedies. There are several serious medical conditions that can cause leg cramping, ie. pad, dvt’s, calcium deficiency, etc.

please have this checked out if you haven’t done so already. good luck!

thanks for pointing this out. this was the first thing that i had done, they ran test, and they came out negitive. that made me happy.

i have been stretching more lately, and it does seem to help alot.

Viewing 19 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Budget101 Discussion List Archives Women’s Issues Home Remedies for Cramps?