Home Lice Remedies

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • Author

One thing not yet mentioned is the importance of *prevention*. Children
      need to be educated never to share hats, scarves, headbands, combs, hair accessories, etc. (Our kids are taught this in preschool).

Also a regular system of checking needs to be implemented. In my dd’s school, all the parents pay $10 at the beginning of the year & that pays for
      someone to come in & check all the children once a month. If any child is found to have lice or nits, they are sent home from school & not allowed back in until “certified” nit-free.

(There are a number of women in our community who check heads & the schools give us a list of who they are. btw, a nice lucrative sideline for a sahm!!!) we also have to bring the kids in the day before school starts & there are a few women there who check the kids heads & give a signed “admission” card with the child’s name & the date certifying that the child is nit-free. no child is allowed into school with out this card.

imho this is the best way to cut down on the incidence of head lice.

btw, the only thing that our local pediatricians say is “supposed” to work these days is ovide (is or was by prescription only and contains malathion — a potent pesticide!) as the lice (at least in this part of the country) are resistent to all the other treatments on the market. well, we had to use it once on one of my dd’s (about 12 yrs ago) — and even *that* didn’t kill them all!!! This subject was just discussed on another list I belong to & many women swear by Crisco to smother the lice — they say it works better than mayo & isn’t so runny.

But you really do have to pick the nits out by hand every day till they’re all gone.

HTH,
      Margaret

Date: Tue May 13, 2003 10:04 am

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.