Budget Menu & Dirt Cheap Recipes General Recipes Hershey’s Cocoa as a substitute for Baking Chocolate

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author

HERSHEY’S Cocoa can be used as a substitute in recipes calling for baking chocolate.
      • For rich chocolate desserts calling for semi-sweetened baking chocolate:
      1 ounce semi-sweet baking chocolate = 1 tablespoon cocoa + 3 1/2 teaspoons sugar + 2 teaspoons shortening
      • For rich chocolate desserts calling for unsweetened baking chocolate:
      1 ounce unsweetened baking chocolate = 3 tablespoons cocoa + 2 teaspoons shortening or oil

1 ounce semi-sweet baking chocolate = 1 tablespoon cocoa + 3 1/2 teaspoons sugar + 2 teaspoons shortening

Just curious has anyone tried this? I have before but it is very gritty and just doesn’t taste right to me. If you have tried it is there a secret that I am missing?
      Thanks

I always use margarine or butter instead of the oil.

this is interesting never thought of using it as a substitution

Quote:
      i always use margarine or butter instead of the oil.

thanks suey, i will have to try that next time.

Kim, I’ve done this before. I always melt it on the stove. Just warm it enough to get the cocoa and sugar to blend together well.

Then I will let it cool a little bet. This is for recipes that are all chocolate. Like chocolate cake or cookies.

It taste the same to me.

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Budget Menu & Dirt Cheap Recipes General Recipes Hershey’s Cocoa as a substitute for Baking Chocolate