Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author

My potato plants have fallen over in the container. The container is still upright but the plant itself have fallen over. Am I doing something wrong?

Should I have put in a trellis? This is my first time growing potatoes and have no clue what I am doing. Help please.

Will my potatoes still be good? The 2 month mark for them to grow is just over a week away. Should I try to harvest them now?

UPDATE: I grew dirt. Not a single spud was found. What did I do wrong?

LOL! Man, it feels good not to be alone.

FreebieQueen

@lmitchell 503885 wrote:

My potato plants have fallen over in the container. The container is still upright but the plant itself have fallen over. Am I doing something wrong? Should I have put in a trellis? This is my first time growing potatoes and have no clue what I am doing. Help please. Will my potatoes still be good? The 2 month mark for them to grow is just over a week away. Should I try to harvest them now?

are you adding additional dirt every week over the plant stem to get them to route new “arms” so they can sprout new potatoes?

Ours usually take about 3 1/2 months to get decent fist sized potatoes.

They need consistent moisture, well drained LOOSE soil, and you need to hill them every couple of weeks to prevent the potatoes from becoming sunburned.

Generally you wouldn’t harvest the potatoes until the plants flower. Late in the summer, once they’ve died back is the normal time to harvest them.

Oh that is fantastic information. Thank you.

Viewing 4 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login Register