Help me!

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • Author

Trust is everything. I you can’t be trusted that is a serious problem. I would demand an explanation for where this money went. I would set up his account where he couldn’t access it without my permission. Have you noticed any new items that could account for this money? I paid for 4 years of college on my own and I am now working on a master’s degree. It is his education, so why shouldn’t he pay for it. He will be the one benefiting from it. Your money and taxes paid for his education up for now. Start braces him for the real world, it will make him a better man. In the real world, there is no free ride! The fact that he didn’t tell you he was removing funds from the account is indicative that he knew very well that it was wrong. Don’t support this type of deceptive behavior, if you get away with things of this nature as a child you will expect and be used to the same treatment as an adult. It is your responsibility to teach him to be more responsible than his dad. You are the adult and you are in charge! You can and should make him turnover some of his money. Your son is 17 and old enough to start earning his keep – he wont do this unless you require it.

At my house I pay the cost to be the boss and it is my way or the high way.
      “Yolonda”

“Yolonda”
              Sent by: Budget101_@yahoogroups.com

05/16/2007 10:50 PM

Please respond to
              Budget101_@yahoogroups.com

[/list]
              [/list]
              [/list]
              [/list]

To

cc

Subject

RE: Budget101.com : Help me!

What explanation did your son give for removing the money? If it is his money, I would let him learn the lesson that when it runs out there just isn’t anymore there. Don’t bail him out or front him a loan. If he owes car insurance, I would make the car sit until it’s paid for. Driving is a privilege, not a right (contrary to what most teens think!). And selling the car might be a good idea if it’s causing problems. Rather a mad kid than an irresponsible adult one day J As for college – I think making kids pay for the first year is a great idea. It makes them understand that education is costly but highly rewarding. I was a straight A student in high school and got a scholarship to a community college in my hometown; I figured I was “grown” since I had graduated so I slept in and went to classes when I felt like it. I lost my scholarship after the first semester and then took my education much more seriously. Yes, I had to pay my way after that – but since I was paying for it, I made better choices and decisions.

Good luck! Yolonda

I just found out that my 17 year old took a lot of money out of his savings account over a week’s time. I am so furious that I am beyond words. This child has not deposited a paycheck in two months, so that money plus the money he took out of his savings account is totally unaccounted for. He owes me for car insurance. We had an issue two weeks ago about the use of the car and we almost sold the car because of his attitude and totally disobeying the “car use” rules. He and I are just alike with our tempers and I tend to yell and get mad at him a lot because he won’t follow the rules. I have just moved his savings money (what’s left of it) to an account that he does not have access to thru his ATM. I know I can’t make him save money or give me his paycheck for me to split it to deposit into savings & checking. He is just like his dad (we’re divorced, wonder why?) when it comes to money. You’d think he’d learn my frugal ways, as I do not spend money frivolously. Any tips on how to teach him how to budget?

I am very concerned because I don’t have the money to send him all the way through college and at the rate he’s going, he won’t have any money to contribute to his education or living expenses. Am I a bad parent if I make him pay for the first year of community college, then if he can do that responsibly, I’ll pick up what I can for him to transfer to a university?

Anggie

Viewing 0 reply threads
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.