help finding cheap ingredients

Budget Menu & Dirt Cheap Recipes Mixes~MYO~Copycat~Etc help finding cheap ingredients

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • Author

I keep seeing the recipe for things like homemade almond milk, homemade Nutella. Where do you find nuts cheap to make it cost effective? Or bouillon?

@fsly00 445254 wrote:

I keep seeing the recipe for things like homemade almond milk, homemade Nutella. Where do you find nuts cheap to make it cost effective? Or bouillon?

You buy the nuts in season & store them in the freezer, particularly around christmastime and other holidays when they are cheap. Boullion is cheap year round in bulk at walmart.,

Thank you so much! I don’t shop at Walmart much but I will go look for the bulk section.

I’m in southern California.. I have never seen a bulk dept. in any of the many wm’s i been in.

i have also been in many around the country, recently returned from a month long trip to the east…never saw one in the many wm’s we used. where are you?
      the first bulk dept.’s around here that i have seen are in the winco stores that started up here a few years ago. i must admit, they help save money, and haven’t got anything that was low quality yet.

I agree, buy in season. Another thing that helps me is shopping at Grocery Outlet. They sometimes have great deals on nuts.

No mine didn’t have a bulk section either. Sbansch is grocery outlet an online store or a bricks and mortar store

A big percentage of almonds are grown in California and with record breaking drought alot of the farms are being destroyed. The water supply is being cut off almost completely. Stock up now because prices are going to soar!

Grocery Outlet is a brick & mortar store mostly on the West Coast.

Thanks.. I thought “grocery outlet ” was a generic term.. will check on line for locations.

Also, I recently started putting almonds and dried fruit on my oatmeal, and stocked up a bit on the almonds.

In the southeast, I can find them at warehouse stores (Sam’s or Costco) for about $7.50 a pound – already shelled. I can also find them at Natural Foods Stores, which tends to have a bulk foods section for anything from flour to nuts to coffee, etc. If they are certified organic, they are running $13 or so a pound, but the natural ones cost about the same as Sam’s or Costco.

During pecan season here, we can buy them at the farmer’s markets from local folks for about $7 unshelled and $8 shelled.

I have also never seen a bulk section at Walmart. I do however, frequent Winco and I love not only their HUGE bulk section but also the quality of everything I have purchased there. I used to get most of my groceries at a nationally known name but after a few visits to Winco, it is now my go to store.

Love that place!!

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Budget Menu & Dirt Cheap Recipes Mixes~MYO~Copycat~Etc help finding cheap ingredients