Has anyone noticed side effects with Sentinel in their pets?

Budget101 Discussion List Archives Pet Care Has anyone noticed side effects with Sentinel in their pets?

Viewing 15 reply threads
  • Author
      MrsPaws

In the past, all three of my dogs were on Sentinel. That stuff works great, but very early this year, one of my dogs started having seizures.
      Vets weren’t sure why, but his Grand Mal seizures got worse, so he went on meds for them. Even on the meds, he started having cluster grand Mal seizures…so things were getting worse.

In the end, I had to have him euthanized.
      Later, I learned, there is a possible link to the ingestion of Sentinel causing seizures in animals…Was wondering if anyone else may have heard anything about this?
      ((Needless to say, my remaining two dogs are not on this))

FreebieQueen

I have a tendency to medicate my animals myself by purchasing certain items in bulk. We have several horses, goats and a couple dozen various feathered friends. The primary ingredient in Sentinel is lufenuron, which has some rather nasty side effects.

Lefenuron is highly acutely toxic, a cholinesterase inhibitor, known/probable carcinogen, known groundwater pollutant or known reproductive or developmental toxicant. In short, it’s pure poison. The probably reason for the Grand Mal Seizures is due to the Cholinesterase inhibitor.

Proper functioning of the nervous system requires an enzyme called cholinesterase (ChE), which facilitates the transmission of nerve impulses. ChE-inhibiting pesticides disable this enzyme, resulting in symptoms of neurotoxicity—tremors, nausea, and weakness at low doses; paralysis and death at higher doses. Btw, don’t get this stuff on yourself- it is a known cause of Parkinsons Disease.

There are several flea chemicals that have a tendency to cause Grand Mal seizures in certain breeds of dogs, particularly Border Collies, but not limited to them. It is for this reason that I avoid these chemicals at all costs.

We use Diatomaceous Earth on our pets, it works 100% safely without fear of your kids accidentally getting it on their hands and transferring any chemicals to their skin or eyes. The fine powder absorbs lipids from the waxy outer layer of insects’ exoskeletons, causing them to dehydrate & the fleas/ticks die as a result.

It’s safe, natural and and inexpensive to acquire. Sorry to hear about your dog!

MrsPaws

Wow, I was so unaware of this…re-reading this kinda breaks my heart because it seems it could’ve been avoided. 🙁
      The dog I was referring to was a German Shepherd…a very large one, but such a wonderful boy.
      I wish the vet that put my dogs on this terrible stuff would have warned me of such possible effects…I’m actually considering changing…
      Thank you so much for the advice on diatomaceous Earth. I like it’s a natural alternative without the potential negative side effects.

Now I’ve just got to figure out where to get it…

FreebieQueen

Re: Has anyone noticed side effects with Sentinel in their pets?
      Originally Posted by MrsPaws
      Wow, I was so unaware of this…re-reading this kinda breaks my heart because it seems it could’ve been avoided. 🙁
      The dog I was referring to was a German Shepherd…a very large one, but such a wonderful boy.

Oh, I should’ve known. Shepherds carry the MDR1 Gene (actually, only 10% of Shepherds carry the Gene.) It causes them to have a MAJOR sensitivity to Ivermectin– as well as several other parasite pesticides, it can kill them. Ivermectin is used for worming. You can have your dog tested for this gene at the vets and it’s relatively inexpensive. Here is a link to the Veterinary Clinical Pharmacology Lab (College of Veterinary Medicine). They have published studies on this gene and it’s effects:
      Breeds of dogs affected with the mutant MDR1 gene. Information from the VCPL at Washington State University.

I wish the vet that put my dogs on this terrible stuff would have warned me of such possible effects…I’m actually considering changing…

Ironically, most vets are unaware. I remember bringing this to the attention of one vet several years ago and he blew me off completely. I had to find published literature about it online and drop it off to his office because he was such a jerk about it.

Thank you so much for the advice on diatomaceous Earth. I like it’s a natural alternative without the potential negative side effects. Now I’ve just got to figure out where to get it

It does work wonderfully. You can buy it in bulk (dirt cheap) at Lowes or Pool Supply stores. At lowes or home depot its located in the home and garden section.

Best wishes for you and your pup, I hope you have a wonderful Holiday.

~Liss

Attachments:
      You must be logged in to view attached files.
      FreebieQueen

just a thought, the major issue could actually have been your dogs heartworm medicine.

MDR1 is the abbreviated name of a gene called Multi-Drug Resistance 1. A mutation of this gene causes sensitivity to Ivermectin and a number of other drugs. Dogs with the mutation will react to those drugs. Having two copies of the mutation will lead to drug reactions, but having a single copy can also confer some sensitivity with some drugs. Dogs with this mutation have a transport defect – the drug goes in to their brains, fails to be transported out, and builds up to toxic levels. This causes serious neurological problems including seizures and sometimes death.

Just for future reference, here is a list other drugs known to cause issues in dogs carrying the MDR1 gene:

Drugs reported to cause problems in dogs that carry the MDR1 mutation. Information from the VCPL at Washington State University.

What to use INSTEAD:
      Dogs in the affected breeds should use milbemycin oxide (Interceptor) for heartworm preventative instead of ivermectin as it’s generally considered a safer alternative

taytled43

Gave sentinel to my dog today and he had a reaction. . His little face and eyes were swollen in about 10,15 minutes.

. Has anyone else experienced this?.

Blonde12

Can anyone give advice on what to give your dog for fleas and heartworm? My dog was on Sentinel and developed pancreatitis. I don’t wont to give him this medication.

He is an 8 year old miniature poodle and I don’t like this drug. I’m looking for a natural solution to fleas and heartworm.

LauraD24

Heartworm is definitely NOT something to fool around with, once they get it, they’re going to die from it, there is little you can do for them. An herbal approach to heartworm prevention is not like a traditional heartworm pharmaceutical preventative, which chemically kills all heartworm larvae, but it may be an effective and more natural method to prevent heartworm infection. Consistent dosing is essential for proper protection, along with heartworm testing at least every 6 months.

Summary
      1) The temperature needs to stay above 57 degrees for 8 to 30 days.
      2) A mosquito has to bite a dog that already has microfilaria in its bloodstream.
      3) That mosquito has to then bite your dog or cat 8-30 days later.
      4) You must give the heartworm preventative medication within 6 weeks of mosquito bite to kill microfilaria in the blood and prevent the larvae from growing to adulthood.

Happy5717

I have bought this Diatomaceous Earth product to get rid of the roaches which it did a wonderful job. Bought it at the local feed store. They told me, “it’s usually used in the dairy barns.”

But, no one mentioned applying to my pets which I have 2 lap dogs and 1) 5 month old kitten and 1) 6 yr. old cat that gets invested with fleas and he never goes outside. I need to know if it would be okay to put this Diatomaceous Earth on my cats too?

MikeM

@FreebieQueen 209526 wrote:

I have a tendency to medicate my animals myself by purchasing certain items in bulk. We have several horses, goats and a couple dozen various feathered friends. The primary ingredient in Sentinel is lufenuron, which has some rather nasty side effects.

Lefenuron is highly acutely toxic, a cholinesterase inhibitor, known/probable carcinogen, known groundwater pollutant or known reproductive or developmental toxicant. In short, it’s pure poison. The probably reason for the Grand Mal Seizures is due to the Cholinesterase inhibitor.

Proper functioning of the nervous system requires an enzyme called cholinesterase (ChE), which facilitates the transmission of nerve impulses. ChE-inhibiting pesticides disable this enzyme, resulting in symptoms of neurotoxicity—tremors, nausea, and weakness at low doses; paralysis and death at higher doses. Btw, don’t get this stuff on yourself- it is a known cause of Parkinsons Disease.

There are several flea chemicals that have a tendency to cause Grand Mal seizures in certain breeds of dogs, particularly Border Collies, but not limited to them. It is for this reason that I avoid these chemicals at all costs.

We use Diatomaceous Earth on our pets, it works 100% safely without fear of your kids accidentally getting it on their hands and transferring any chemicals to their skin or eyes. The fine powder absorbs lipids from the waxy outer layer of insects’ exoskeletons, causing them to dehydrate & the fleas/ticks die as a result.

It’s safe, natural and and inexpensive to acquire. Sorry to hear about your dog!

hi, i looked up lefenuron in an official pesticide database and it is not known to be toxic to mammals. it is not a cholinesterase inhibitor. see here and scroll the page: Lufenuron – toxicity, ecological toxicity and regulatory information The rest of your advise looks good.

I’m all for natural alternatives.

Cocoapuff

My Chiuhuauha has been on sentinel flavor tabs for about 6 months. He started having seizures last month. It has really upset me and I’m worried about him.

He is almost 7 yo. The Vet put him on phenabarbitol to help control the seizures. He was doing fine until last night.

He had a seizure in my lap. I increased his medicine this morning to help. I decided to do research last night after it happened and came across a lot of information.
      That’s when I noticed that Sentinel can cause seizures!

i have been so mad with myself. i’m going to get him something else for his heartworm/flea control. i want to stay away from the same drugs that are in sentinel.

oh, did you’ll know that sentinel is the same as interceptor and capstar in one! so there are about four different drugs going inito my little 4 pound baby! Any suggestions?
      Thank you!

mrskorba

We use the Meijer brand flea and tick drops. The one with fipronyl in it. They have 3 different kinds for dogs and cats, and then they have different boxes for their weights too.

But if you go to Meijer it’s their store brand, well if you have a meijer by you the cat one is 19.99 for 3 doses. My friend just went last night and bought it for her cats and Im going this week to buy it for both my dogs and cats. We used it last year and this year.

My dogs are white shep and yellow lab mix and the other is a pom yorkie mix and were on it last year and the only effect it had on them was a little extra drooling but we kept a close eye on them for an hour so they werent licking it off each other. The 3 cats drooled too. But that was it.

Im sorry about the loss of your dog…

Doglover

Yes ! sentinel or any of those preventatives meds can potentially cause seizures. My 67 lb mixed shepherd had the seizures a few days after until realized that was what was causing it.

I buy the pill for her weight and give her half the dose now. They’re over medicating our dogs, I figured it out myself and had to tell my vet !! He should be paying me.

That goes with any dogs taking bladder control pills too! Give them less water and less treats. Proin can cause seizures too

Bunchie

Yes – I rushed my granddog to the hospital last night due to seizures – low calcium – meds were changed a few months ago. He started with the seizures on the weekends that I have him and last night was awful. He will not take this again.

He is a chi poo.

Cocoapuff

@MrsPaws 209508 wrote:

In the past, all three of my dogs were on Sentinel. That stuff works great, but very early this year, one of my dogs started having seizures.

MrsPaws,
      I’m so sorry to hear about your precious buddy. It is true that Sentinel can cause seizures in animals. It is just one of the many side effects; vomiting, depression, lethargy, itchiness, hives, diarrhea, weight loss, poor coordination, seizures, hypersalivation, and weakness.

I started giving my Chihuahua (5 lb.) Sentinel around spring of last year. He started having seizures in November last year, so I changed him to Revolution. He has been on phenobarbital since the seizures.

I filed a complaint with Sentinel regarding the side effect. Why this medication was approved I will never understand.
      Praying for you!
      Cocoapuff,

Stonelyrics

Reading this makes me SO SAD for You. I am thinking that Sentinel Spectrum is causing my 1/2 German Shep & 1/2 Husky Doggie to get ill.
      I had a Dog w Epilepsy years ago. So I am not buying it on this guy.

He had his 1st Seizure the end of Feb. I thought someone Poisoned him or he was Dying. It was Terrifying & right in front of my security camera. Did the complete bloodwork up & everything is fine. My vet did over vaccinate him on the Parvo as a little pup so also thought of that as a Possibility.

Anyway I have been giving Sentinel to my Doggies for awhile & go longer periods between in winter altho I live in SoCal. After this Seizure I waited longer. So I gave him another pill in April I believe. He had a Seizure May 13th at my feet. Not as long this time but total Seizure. Called my vet & went in next day & decided to buy the pills but not give them as they have side effects & it was 2 1/2 mos. between.

Meanwhile, I switched from 1/2 turkey frank in the a.m to 1/2 scrambled egg for my Doggies w their food which is Natural Balance no grain. My Vet had me buy Purina Script Neurocare which I put My guy on mixed w 1/2 cup of Nat. Bal. at night & shredded chicken breasts I cook in broth for them a couple times a month so that’s the usual. I use to mix in Rachel Ray No Grain but no longer buy that.

I also use Vectra D which works great while others don’t but thought maybe that was it since I bought the bigger size for My Larger Shep Girl & didn’t use a full tube on my Timba Guy. I went to buying his exact size & used it altho SCARED but he was fine.

I almost decided to try the Heartworm meds again when I started researching. I had an uneasy feeling since something has to be REALLY Toxic to Kill worms from the inside. Meanwhile, my Timba boy turned 4 end of May. He always came in to let me know it was time to eat but then would look at his food a bit while My Girl was devouring hers before he ate. His appetite seems to be better now.

I am not getting any more vaccines for him because he’s had them all since 5 wks old & they say they have been protected for Everything by 2 yrs if You have been good at getting them & after that it’s HARMFUL. Also if you bring your dog in at dusk & not let him out at dawn he’s probably ok.

I had a dog w Heartworms years ago. They had to give him arsenic to kill them but he lived several yrs after. 1st I heard of it so then I began giving meds for that. But if they aren’t out at night the risks are LOW & you can get a specific Blood test better than the reg. one to give you early detection & then you can get them easier than when they are full blown.  I may try Interceptor down the line but right now I am not. Only going to use Vectra D.

If Timba makes it to the end of July w/o a Seizure which is the Timeframe between the only 2 he had, then I will for sure Attribute this to SENTINEL SPECTRUM

Viewing 15 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Budget101 Discussion List Archives Pet Care Has anyone noticed side effects with Sentinel in their pets?