- December 30, 2008 at 11:25 pm #268357
5 medium parsnips (about 12 oz each), peeled, cut in half lengthwise
5 medium carrots (about 12 oz each), peeled, cut in half lengthwise
8 oz rutabaga (yellow turnip), peeled and cut in 16 wedges
1 medium red onion, cut in 8 wedges
2 Tbsp olive oil
1⁄2 tsp salt
1⁄2 tsp pepper
8 oz sliced ham, cut in 1⁄2-in. pieces
6 oz sliced Swiss cheese, cut in 1⁄2-in. pieces
6 slices potato bread or other firm white bread, cut in half diagonally
5 large eggs
21⁄2 cups whole milk
1. Heat oven to 425°F. Put vegetables, oil, salt and 1⁄4 tsp pepper in a roasting pan or on 2 rimmed baking sheets; toss to mix and coat. Spread in a single layer. Roast, stirring once, 25 minutes or until vegetables are lightly browned and tender. Remove vegetables to a cutting board; cut in smaller pieces.
2. Reduce oven to 350°F. Coat a shallow 21⁄2-qt baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
3. Place half the vegetables and half the ham and cheese in the baking dish. Top with bread, overlapping slices as needed. Top with remaining vegetables, ham and cheese. Whisk eggs, milk and remaining 1⁄4 tsp pepper in a medium bowl until blended; pour evenly over bread.
4. Bake 1 hour or until puffed, golden brown and a knife inserted near center comes out clean
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.