Stuff I’d Like to See General Gluten-free & Dairy-free home: Would love suggestions/help for reducing budget

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author

Hey all-am new to this site and desperately looking for help in reducing our grocery budget. One of our biggest obstacles (or so i have thought) is our diet-restrictions. For a variety of reasons, we don’t eat any type of grain (includes rice, eggs, oats, wheat, etc), dairy, soy, corn, any refined sugar, or beans.

We eat all types of preservative-free meats, all fruits, all vegetables, most nuts (no peanuts), & only natural sugars (honey, coconut sugar, and maple syrup).

We are a family of 4, and we currently spend $600 per month in food. We rarely if ever eat out, I make TONS of stuff from scratch (coconut milk, almond butter & milk, ketchup, mayo, Lara bars, etc). I shop based on the weekly prices and ads, buy ahead and freeze when available, and do things I can to reduce cost, but I really wish I could shave off more.

Any suggestions or ideas???

@Shearoe 462398 wrote:

Hey all-am new to this site and desperately looking for help in reducing our grocery budget. One of our biggest obstacles (or so i have thought) is our diet-restrictions. For a variety of reasons, we don’t eat any type of grain (includes rice, eggs, oats, wheat, etc), dairy, soy, corn, any refined sugar, or beans.

We eat all types of preservative-free meats, all fruits, all vegetables, most nuts (no peanuts), & only natural sugars (honey, coconut sugar, and maple syrup).

We are a family of 4, and we currently spend $600 per month in food. We rarely if ever eat out, I make tons of stuff from scratch (coconut milk, almond butter & milk, ketchup, mayo, lara bars, etc). i shop based on the weekly prices and ads, buy ahead and freeze when available, and do things i can to reduce cost, but i really wish i could shave off more.

any suggestions or ideas???

are you part of a food co-op in your area? generally you can buy in bulk with a co-op and save cash. do you garden at all?

where does the majority of your grocery budget go- which expenses are the highest?

I am a part of a coop. I buy things like my coconut and almond flours there, and I go to Costco for my bulk nuts and organic grass fed ground beef (there price is always 3.99/lb, which is the best I’ve found).

In all honesty, I am not certain where my highest costs are…might be worth analyzing, but if I were to estimate, I would think it would be in meat and the nut & coconut products (almonds for butter and milk, flour, and coconut flour, etc.). For instance, through my co-op, I can purchase almond flour for $6.80/lb versus upwards of $9 at the grocery store, but it’s obviously still much pricier than normal wheat flour, which just isn’t an option for us.

We eat tons of eggs, but I don’t buy those organic, so they’re usually anywhere from $1.49-$1.79/dz. The only organic meat I buy is the ground beef from Costco, the rest is to expensive, but I know meat is still a huge expense.

Thank you fr your response! More thoughts are welcome!

Participant

@Shearoe 462398 wrote:

We are a family of 4, and we currently spend $600 per month in food. We rarely if ever eat out, I make tons of stuff from scratch (coconut milk, almond butter & milk, ketchup, mayo, lara bars, etc). i shop based on the weekly prices and ads, buy ahead and freeze when available, and do things i can to reduce cost, but i really wish i could shave off more.

any suggestions or ideas???

hi shearoe.
      in your initial post you have eggs listed as something your family does not eat, but in your second post you state that your family eats tons of eggs. my guess is that y’all do eat eggs.

have you considered buying your eggs and meats from local farms?

some places you may want to check for more information:

local livestock yard (where livestock is bought & sold) and local butchers.
      local agricultural extension office.
      local state college/university – especially if they have an agricultural program.
      do a search for the department of agriculture in your state. you should be able to find usda certified organic farms through them.
      also, try searching online using the terms “organic farm {your city} {your state}” i found a few small farms that i didn’t know existed in my big town of 3,500 people… :0

I hope some of these suggestions help.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Stuff I’d Like to See General Gluten-free & Dairy-free home: Would love suggestions/help for reducing budget