Getting Rid of Ladybugs

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • Author
      Liss

Lady Bugs
      Q. We live in Tennessee, and every year about this time we get ladybugs coming in our closed windows on the sunny side of the house in the mid-afternoon. They don’t really do any harm, but I end up with dead ladybugs all over the window ledges, floor and live ones crawling on the ceiling (probably around 100 bugs total each day).

I would rather my 1 yr old twins not eat dead ladybugs off the floor before I can get to them with the vacuum (the twins’ room is on that side of the house.) Do your readers know of any way to keep them outside where they can do some good? Thanks, –Betsy

Try burning a Lemon scented candle, have been told this works.

I live in Kentucky and have the same problem with the ladybugs. However I have noticed they seem to like lighter colors such as white and pail green. The darker the color the less likely they are to come in.

So I know this may sound crazy but if you take a black trash bag and put it over the windows they seem to come in most often or dark drapes you should see a decrease in the amount coming in. Hope I helped.

We also have lady bugs. We have found that the best way to get rid of them is to set of flea bombs on each floor of our house. Please read the directions on the box.

You have to leave for 2-3 hours when you do this. I don’t open my kitchen cupboards like it says though. This also gets rid of spiders in the basement!

I have heard that those bugs (box elder bugs? Halloween bugs?) don’t like vinegar. So a cheap experiment would be to try spraying vinegar around your doors and window frames.

We have multitudes of ladybugs here in Central IL. These are not the cute little red and black ladybugs, they are orange and black. I think they are Asian lady bugs.

And they do bite! They can crawl through the smallest crevice to get inside. They fly past the ceiling fans and get caught in the draft and fall into our food.

They dive bomb us when we are in bed. You have to “sweep ” out the bed at night to get rid of unwelcome visitors. No, they do not get rid of the spiders..

They are inside the window frames. If for some reason you raise a window, you will have 1000’s drop down from the inside track of the window. Reminds me of bees the way they all pile on top of one another.

You can vacuum them up, but then you need to empty the vacuum immediately. Anxiously awaiting a response to what to do with ladybugs….. Thank You – Kay

The following content provided by the Ladybug Lady:

Q. Why do ladybugs come into my house in the winter time?
      A. Ladybugs are attracted to the light colored houses.

Especially, homes that have a clear southwestern sun exposure. Older homes tend to experience more problem with aggregations due to lack of adequate insulation. The ladybugs come in through small cracks around windows, door ways and under clap boards.

They want to hibernate in a warm, comfortable spot over the cold months of winter. Ladybugs gather in groups when they hibernate, so if you see one, you can be sure more will follow. The best way to keep them out is to repair damaged clap boards, window and door trim and to caulk small cracks.

Q. Once the ladybugs are in my house, will they eat anything?
      A. No.

Ladybugs don’t eat fabric, plants, paper or any other household items. They like to eat APHIDS. Aphids are very small, but very destructive pest that feed on plants. (If you have rose bushes, you have probably seen aphids.) Ladybugs, while trying to hibernate in your house, live off of their own body fats.

They, also, prefer a little humidity. But our homes are usually not very humid during the winter. In fact, they are rather dry causing most of your ladybug guests to die from dehydration.

Occasionally, you might witness a ladybug in your bathroom getting a drink of water. Now, that’s a smart lady!

Q. How can I get them out of my house?
      A. If you don’t have a lot, just leave them.

They will leave when spring arrives. Disturbing them will only cause them to stress out leaving yellow markings on your walls. The yellow stuff, you see, is not waste matter, but rather, their blood.

Ladybugs release a small amount of their blood which is yellow and smells, when they sense danger. Some people have said that it does stain on light colored surfaces.

Q. But, I really want the ladybugs out of my house!
      A. Use a “shop vacuum”.

This type of vacuum is easy to use for collect ladybugs. When using this to vacuum up ladybugs, use a clean bag or pad the bottom with a cloth. After all is clean, release the unwelcome guests outside.

Q. Is there anything else I can use to get the ladybugs out of my house?
      A. Yes.

There is a product called a Ladybug Black Light Trap. It uses radiating black light to attract and contain the ladybugs.

For more detailed information on ladybugs, visit the Ladybug Lady’s website.

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.