Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
      BiggerPiggyBank
      Participant

I have a very tiny little nothing tip really…..it’s more for lawn
      maintenance, but I’ll go ahead and try to contribute. If you don’t have a
      garage or someplace to store your lawnmower when your not using it or just
      don’t want to go to the trouble to take it back into storage, you can just
      park it somewhere out of the way and put your wheelbarrow upside down on top
      of it. It’s quick and easy and protects the lawnmower from rain water.
      Barbara

Use toilet paper rolls to start seedlings. Fold one end in, add soil, seeds, and set on a tray. You can plant the whole thing since the roll will degrade into the soil

@BiggerPiggyBank 4130 wrote:

I’ve seen alot of people use hay between rows. I’d love to do that but my horse
      would be breaking into my garden

Wheat straw or Rye straw is cheaper and not as tempting to horses, and contains less weed seeds than hay.

@cncgirl00 392034 wrote:

Use toilet paper rolls to start seedlings. Fold one end in, add soil, seeds, and set on a tray. You can plant the whole thing since the roll will degrade into the soil

Best to cut the roll in half and make it into 2 pots…

BTW a great project to teach children!

Gallon milk jugs with the bottoms cut off make great plant covers for tender plants when the temps re cool at night. INsulates the plants from cooler night temperatures so plants don’t stall in their growth.

I love the toilet paper roll idea. That sounds like something we could really use. It’s so expensive to buy all the little degradable pots.

– Use your grass clippings between the rows to keep weeds down. Every spring rototill them under
      – plant clover instead of grass. We overseeded with clover last year – the plan is to convert all our lawn to clover.

WAY less mowing
      – speaking of mowing, buy a manual mower. We have a huge yard and it’s all we’ve ever used. We rake them up to use between the rows of veggies
      – save your own seeds – I have sunflower, sweet pea and pole bean seeds saved from last year to plant this year.

I sprouted some just to be sure they’re viable.
      – ask garden centres for their broken pots and glue them together. You can often get them for free.
      – use broken/old crockware such as teapots as planter pots
      – doing your own compost is as easy as piling it up in a corner. You don’t need a fancy barrel.

Many things like coffee grounds and eggshells don’t even need to be composted – just throw them on the garden

hi, instead of newspaper use used or new coffee filters, might be a little messy but easier for the plants to grow roots through

I use MYO compost regularly in my garden, whenever I plant the next crop. Here are some composting tips… I feed the compost heap year round.

1) When I mow in the fall, I bag everything and pile it the back corner of the yard to feed my compost heap throughout the year.

2) Among the many things “compy” likes to eat is newspapers. I clean out my office paper shredder once a month and run newsprint (not the glossy adds) through the shredder until the bin is full. I empty the bin onto the heap and cover with a layer of leaves.

3) Our church serves coffee weekly… I take the grounds home (paper filter as well) and dump it onto the heap.

Viewing 8 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.