Viewing 0 reply threads
  • Author
      BiggerPiggyBank
      Participant

There is ALOT you can freeze.

Milk (shake container after defrosting in the fridge, the liquid and the fats
      seperate during freezing and must be remixed. Takes a gallon about 4 days in my
      fridge to defrost so I pour the milk into one quart containers to freeze, the 1
      quart takes 1 day to defrost.)

DRAIN THE SWAMP, #MAGA VOTE TRUMP 2020!

Cream Cheese (can be grainy once you take it out of freezer, but, if it gets
      that way I just plop it in my food processor and remix it.)

Yogurt (I have not personally froze it, but i know a lot of people who have and
      it is good.)

cheese (cheese changes consisitency after it is frozen. if you freeze in a
      block, don’t expect to be able to slice it as it crumbles easily after
      defrosting. but, if you slice it first or grate it before freezing, then it
      works just fine.)

sour cream (gets runny after freezing, still works in cooking, but not as a
      topping for baked potatoes or in tacos. still works just fine for stroganoff or
      goulash though.)

butter (i have kept it in the freezer for up to a year with no problems…. it
      keeps it rather nicely.)

margarine (same as butter. but i don’t use margarine anymore.)

other items:

pineapple juice (i make sweet and sour sauce and i freeze the remaining juice…
      freeze it in individual ice cube trays in 1 tablespoon measurements, or if there
      is a recipe you use all the time that uses a specific measurement freeze that
      measurement in a muffin tray. Then pop out and put in zip lock bags so you just
      have to grab exactly what you need.)

Mushrooms (They don’t freeze well whole. But for each pound of ‘shrooms, I put
      a tablespoon of butter in a saucepan and melt. Chip the ‘shrooms fine, and add
      to the melted butter, saute until golden brown.

Freeze in 1 tablespoon
      measurements, and then you can use them to top steaks, or potatoes, or whatever.
      They freeze really well this way and don’t get all runny/soggy like the whole
      ones do.)

Rice (whenever I make a recipe that calls for rice, I cook extra. I then freeze
      the extra in 1 cup containers in the freezer. Great as a side dish, just remove
      and nuke, or already premeasured for inclusion in other recipes.)

Cookie Dough (almost any cookies you make you can freeze the dough. I make the
      cookie dough as per usual, then I use a scoop to scoop the dough onto a cookie
      sheet. Freeze like that, then pop the little cookie dough nuggets off the
      cookie sheet, put in a ziplock bag and freeze.

I start this in September of
      every year, and then I can bake fresh cookies all holiday season long by just
      taking however many I want/need out of the freezer and baking as usual. It
      takes only 1 extra minute or so in the oven because the dough is frozen.)

Fudge (I do this like I do the cookie dough. I make my fudge, and then once it
      is all set in the pan I cut it and wrap each piece in plastic wrap then all the
      pieces go in a ziplock in the freezer. When the holidays come around and I do
      baskets as gifts or for company, I just have to go to the freezer and get out
      what I want.)

Of course I freeze all manner of beef, pork, chicken, salmon, turkey, sausage,
      and bacon as well. I try to freeze them all in single or double serving sizes
      so I can pull out just what we need. Sometimes I leave it in larger sizes too
      so I would have enough to put up lunches for my husband too.

Variety in size of
      package makes it so if he has enough lunches frozen I can just pull the smaller
      stuff, but if his supply of finished lunches is getting low I can pull a bigger
      package so I can refill. 🙂

Emily Y.

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.