Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author

I received some great tomatoes from a neighbor…now there is no way we are going to be able to eat all of them before they go bad..is there a way to freeze tomatoes? I don’t have the energy/time or desire to try canning..I need something simpler..any simple salsa recipes..or sauce recipes..with few ingredients? Thanks for the help.

What I usually do:
      Put the tomatoes into a pot of salted boiling water, and boil for a couple minutes until the skin starts to break open. Then I place them in a bowl of cold water to cool them down. Peel them when they can be handled, and cut up or leave whole.

After they’ve cooled, place in freezer zip top bags and seal. Label and freeze.
      OR you can make spaghetti sauce, marinara sauce, pizza sauce, chili starter, whatever you want to make out of it, then put desired amount into a freezer bag, seal, label and freeze.
      I’ve not had any problems doing this, but you probably want to use them within 6 months to a year.

Just an idea, make fajitas and use a tomato or two with the peppers and onions mix.

FreebieQueen

You can also make your own “sundried” tomatoes, I’m getting ready to dry about 15 lbs- mainly because I’m sick of canning!

Budget101.com – – MYO: Sundried Tomatoes

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.