Stuff I’d Like to See General Freeze ahead Meals

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author

I see a lot of information for making a months worth of freeze ahead meals on different websites. What I really don’t see is what type of containers are best to use. Some ideas are gallon freezer bags but I don’t care for plastic bags much.

Any other ideas?

FreebieQueen

@Memaw42 677623 wrote:

I see a lot of information for making a months worth of freeze ahead meals on different websites. What I really don’t see is what type of containers are best to use. Some ideas are gallon freezer bags but I don’t care for plastic bags much. Any other ideas?

I think it depends entirely on how long you’d like to be able to freeze them for. We use a vacuum sealer because we have a tendency to freeze ours for 6 months or more. I know people who use rubbermaid containers and they freeze dishes for about 30 days, max before they start having quality issues with freezer burn.

What, may I ask, is your reasoning for avoiding plastic bags?

I use a food saver. I will freeze pre-made crockpot meals in the bags, making it easier to just grab, dump and go!

We tend to use the Gladware type containers that lunch meat comes in quite often, but as someone else said, they do start to get freezer burn if in the freezer more than 30 days. 30 days isn’t a problem for us.
      The large plastic ice cream containers work great for larger quantities such as chili. Same thing though, it gets iced up over the top if the container is not full.
      I’m not sure why you don’t like freezer bags, but they do tend to work the best. I have a habit of putting another bag over the first one, even if it is a freezer bag.

I just re-use the outer bags over and over.

I use a disposable foil pan and freeze it the use my food saver

I love to make pumpkin muffins, cookies and mini banana breads and freeze them on cookie sheet (so they do not stick together) and then put in glad bags between wax paper. They are great for snacks and it works great. Course they do not last long.

You can freeze gravies and sauces in ice cube trays, then put in baggies. Grab some(what you need) when you make dinner. Then you do not have to take time making homemade gravies or sauces you will already have it done.

@Memaw42 677623 wrote:

Any other ideas?

I love the “freezer” ziploc bags they must specify freezer they are thicker and last 6-9 months in the freezer. I do have some plastic freezer containers I prefer tupperware however I have had good luck at finding reasonable freezer containers at Ross.

When I use a freezer container I place the containers on cookie sheets fill and freeze for 2-3 hours take them out of the container wrap in plastic wrap, then put them back in the freezer. I find they last a little longer, they dont take on or leave scents in the freezer, plus they easily come out of the containers. Really great if they are going into a crock pot you do not have to wrestle with it to get it out.

Best of Luck

Lisa

Viewing 6 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login Register

Stuff I’d Like to See General Freeze ahead Meals