Freegan – as seen on Oprah

Budget101 Discussion List Archives Budget101 Discussion List Freegan – as seen on Oprah

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • Author

I agree you shouldn’t throw sensitive stuff out in the trash. But bottom line is that if it is on your property and someone takes something off your property, they are stealing. Your property is your property. If you don’t mind someone taking something off your property, of course you wouldn’t get the police involved.

But if you do NOT want anyone going through your trash and they DO, you do have the right to get the police involved, as that person is trespassing on your property.

As I mentioned, this was an extreme example. I’m just pointing out that any company’s dumpster is NOT public domain and they do have the right to keep people OUT of their dumpsters.

KP

Original Message
      To: Budget101_@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Tuesday, March 11, 2008 8:24 PM
      Subject: RE: Budget101.com : Freegan/NOW – is taking trash stealing?

My thought is if you’ve thrown it out with the trash, you have relinquished your claim to it. If there is anything in there you still don’t want others to have, don’t put it in there. As far as identity sensitive materials – buy a shredder, burn it, soak it in bleach, etc.- anything to keep someone from getting your information.
      I don’t have to agree with the Freegan philosophy to appreciate the need to reduce the amount of items in the landfills. If someone else can use something I no longer want or need, they are more than welcome to it. In my mind, that’s a win-win for all concerned.

Yolonda

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Budget101 Discussion List Archives Budget101 Discussion List Freegan – as seen on Oprah