Four Cheese Sauce:081:
      2 1/4 cups milk
      3 tbs butter
      2 tbs all-purpose flour
      1/4 tsp salt
      white pepper to taste
      1 1/2 oz each: Gruyere, fontina, and mozarella, all shredded
      1/3 cup parmesan
      Heat the milk to just below boiling point, then keep warm. Melt the butter in a saucepan over low heat. Using a whisk, blend in the flour. Let the flour and butter paste heat through for about 2 minutes, stirring constantly so that it does not stick and become brown. Add the hot milk very gradually and slowly, stirring continually with a whisk or wooden spoon to prevent lumps from forming. When the sauce is thick and creamy, about 5 minutes, add the salt and pepper. Keeping the sauce over low heat, scatter in the Gruyere, fontina, and mozzarella, stirring until all the cheeses are thoroughly melted, about 2 minutes. Stir in the parmesan and take the sauce off the heat immediately. Makes 3 cups = about 365 calories per 3/4 cup.
      this is soooo good on macaroni or use for lasagna instead of the traditional red sauce…drooling now….

OMG – this sounds so good and I only have 2 cheeses – cheddar & mozzarella. Trying to decide how that would taste. AND I know there is absolutely nothing fattening here!!! Thanks for the cravings and the recipe.

Participant

in an absolute pinch…you can substitute ricotta or cottage cheese and make it a three-cheese sauce. mac and cheese will never be the same and you really need to try it for lasagna…soooo yummy!

Thanks mos. Will definitely try this. I’m a sucker for cheese sauces & this sounds fantastic.

Boy does this sound good. Another great recipe to copy for my files. Thanks Mos.

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.