- This topic has 1 reply, 1 voice, and was last updated February 17, 2006 at 10:23 pm by .
- February 17, 2006 at 10:23 pm #236239mos
1 1/2 cups unsweetened apple juice
1 cup chopped dried calmyrna figs
4 oz medium-firm tofu
zest of 1 LEMON
1/4 cup sunflower or other light vegetable oil
1/4 cup light-colored, delicately flavored honey
2 cups whole-wheat pastry flour
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground cloves
1 cup coarsely chopped, lightly toasted walnuts
heat apple juice to boiling. pour it over figs in a small bowl and set aside until lukewarm. drain well, reserving liquid.
2.preheat oven 325?. lightly grease a medium (8″ X 4″) loaf pan. set aside.
in a blender, combine tofu and about 1/4 cup of the reserved juice. blend, gradually adding the remaining juice, until smooth.
4. whisk together lemon zest, oil and honey in a medium mixing bowl.
whisk in blended tofu-juice mixture and stir in the figs.
5. sift together flour, salt, baking soda, baking powder and spices. combine with the wet mixture and stir gently until just blended.do not overmix. fold in the nuts.
6. immediately spread batter in the prepared pan.
bake about 1 hr, or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the loaf comes out clean. cool in the pan 10 TO 15 min, then transfer directly to a wire rack to finish cooling. 16 SERVINGS = 195 calories.
this keeps well in the refrigerator, wrapped in individual servings (if desired), for about ten days. good cold or nuke for one minute on low if prefer to have it warm.
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.