Budget Menu & Dirt Cheap Recipes General Recipes Favorite Party Food?

Viewing 13 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

Hello all
      So with get togethers like crazy from here till next year between Halloween on, what’s everyone’s favorite food to take? Appetizers, dips, candies, etc?

(I always try to bring the drinks, but I’d like to try some new things)
      Thanks
      Anne

The Glorified Graham Crackers that I mentioned in the Cookie Thread are always a big hit!

Haystacks are always a hit too! And easy to make!

Haystacks:
      2 cups butterscotch chips
      2 cup chow mein noodles
      1 cup salted peanuts

1.) In doible boiler, over simmering water, melt butterscotch chips, stirring frequently, until smooth.
      2.) Remove from heat & stir in noodles & peanuts.
      3.) Drop by teaspoonfuls onto waxed paper.
      4.) Refrigerate until firm.

(You could also try this with chocolate chips, white chocolate chips, peanut butter chips, etc.)

Spiced Nuts are also a crowd pleaser:

1 egg white
      5 cups walnut halves (or you could use pecans, or even a mixture of nuts)
      1 cup sugar
      1 tsp cinnamon
      1/4 tsp nutmeg
      1/4 tsp allspice
      1/2 tsp salt

1.) Grease 15x10x1 baking pan; set aside. Combine egg white & 1 tsp water. Add nuts & toss to coat.
      2.) Combine sugar & spices & 1/2 tsp salt.

Sprinkle over nuts, toss to coat. Spread in pan. Bake at 325 degrees for 20 minutes.
      3.) Spread on wax paper to cool.
      4.) Break into pieces & store in airtight container.

I love when my hubby makes “tator skins” topped with bacon and cheese…then he take french bread and tops it with pesto, sliced tomatoes and mottz cheese…and sticks it under the broiler until the cheese melts!! yum yum….!!!

@faxonfive 87038 wrote:

I love when my hubby makes “tator skins” topped with bacon and cheese…then he take french bread and tops it with pesto, sliced tomatoes and mottz cheese…and sticks it under the broiler until the cheese melts!! yum yum….!!!

Oooh! Those sound really yummy & easy to make! 🙂

Yes…it really is…and quick too…he nukes the tators too!! 🙂

Easy Dips, I make and take everywhere

Santa Fe Dip
      Grease, I use Pam, an 8 x 8 size casserole dish
      1 block of Cream Cheese, soften until can spread evenly in the casserole dish
      1 standard size jar of salsa–options, spread as is over the cream cheese, however, I don’t care for chunks, so I whiz my jar in the blender till smooth and spread over the cream cheese.
      Sprinkle with finely shredded cheese, I use the “Mexican” blend, cover in a layer
      Bake at 350 degrees for about 25 minutes, will hot and bubbling, serve with typical dippers

Pizza Dip,
      Exactly as above, but substitute a jar of Pizza sauce for the salsa, and use an Italian blend
      Serve with an Italian compliment dipper

Reuben Dip
      1/2 lb of a good deli corned beef, or for me I use pastrami, I don’t care for corned beef, do a fine chop and place as a layer on in the bottom of the casserole dish
      1 small, the truly small cans of sauerkraut and drain THOROUGHLY, but save the juice.
      Layer the sauerkraut on top of the pastrami/corned beef
      Mix 1/2 cup of mayo
      1/2 cup of Thousand Island Dressing
      Add saved juice to thin a bit.
      You don’t want it runny, but easy to pour and spread
      Pour/spread over the sauerkraut, press a bit so it seeps to the meat, an alternative is to mix the sauerkraut with the meat, and often, I do.
      Top with finely shredded Swiss Cheese
      Bake at 350 degrees for about 25 minutes, will hot and bubbling, serve with cocktail rye bread or another typical complimentary dipper

Artichoke cheese dip
      1 cup mayonnaise
      1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
      1 can (14 ounces) artichoke hearts, drained and chopped
      Blend all ingredients
      Bake at 350 degrees for about 25 minutes, will hot and bubbling, serve with a nice water cracker or another typical complimentary dipper

Gloria

Do you have a recipe for that too :117:

semmel88,
      I found this recipe in one of my books:
      Spinach Artichoke Dip

1/2 tsp minced garlic
      1 onion, chopped
      2 Tbs all-purpose flour
      1 (12oz) can evaporated skimmed milk
      2 (10oz) boxes frozen chopped spinach, thawed & squeezed dry
      4 oz reduced fat Monterey Jack cheese, cubed
      1 (14oz) can quartered artichoke hearts, drained
      salt & pepper to taste
      Dash Worcestershire sauce

In nonstick pot, saute garlic & onion until very tender. Add flour. Gradually stir in milk, heating until thickened.

Add the spinach & cheese, stirring until the cheese is melted. Stir in the artichoke hearts. Season with salt, pepper & Worcestershire to taste.

Serve hot.

(This came out of a healthier cookbook that I have, but if you want it to be even better you could do it with regular ingredients instead of the fat free.)

I like to take pinwheels. They are sooo easy !!! Just get some sliced ham from the deli & some cream cheese.

Spread the cream chesse on one side of the ham and then roll them up cut them in halves or quartes and put a toothpick through them. They are sooo good peple love them !!! If you want to get creative try the different flavored cream chesse I have also added shredded cheddar chesse to the cream chesse for an extra treat.

They are a hit !!!!

My favorite go to party food is always oven/crockpot spinach artichoke dip. The dip is put together in the crock pot insert and baked in the oven, then transferred to the crockpot to keep warm for the party. It tastes just like you would get at a restaurant…only better.

It makes a lot so it is the perfect party food. I do make this occasionally for us to snack on since it is so yummy.

Artichoke & Spinach Dip Restaurant Style

INGREDIENTS (Nutrition)

* 4 cloves garlic
      * 1 (10 ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained (I run it through the food chopper to get it like a paste)
      * 1 (14 ounce) can artichoke hearts, drained and chopped (I run it through the food chopper to get it like a paste)
      * 1 (10 ounce) container Alfredo-style pasta sauce
      * 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
      * 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese (not the powder spaghetti kind)
      * 1/2 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened

DIRECTIONS

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
      2. Place garlic in a small baking dish.

Bake in the preheated oven 20 to 30 minutes, until soft. Remove from heat. When cool enough to touch, squeeze softened garlic from skins.

(if I am running low on time and need to make this quick I just use diced garlic from the jar)
      3. In a crock pot insert (can also use an 8×8 inch baking dish), spread the roasted garlic, spinach, artichoke hearts, Alfredo-style pasta sauce, mozzarella cheese, Parmesan cheese and cream cheese. I like to stir it just before popping it into the oven.

Cover and bake in the preheated oven 30 minutes, or until cheeses are melted and bubbly. Place crock pot insert into crock pot set on low, stir, and serve warm.

I like to serve this with french bread slices, fresh tortilla chips, and veggies.

me tooooooo! When ever I make this for a party it is all gone

My mom always made this veggie dip:

1 packet dried soup mix (she used veggie soup)
      1 package frozen spinach, thawed and squeezed
      1 med container of sour cream (I think they are 10 or 12 oz?)
      1 “scoop” mayo (I think this equates to about 1/4 cup)

mix it all together. It tastes great with raw veggies, especially broccli.

Thank you for the recipe ! i just going to use it with normal ingredients !

Viewing 13 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Budget Menu & Dirt Cheap Recipes General Recipes Favorite Party Food?