- This topic has 12 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated April 27, 2009 at 3:07 am by .
- February 9, 2009 at 11:51 pm #270473
You need: 2 lbs ground meat (i.e. hamburger, ground turkey, etc.) , 1/2 cup of macaroni or similar pasta (I like the high fiber kind), 1 26oz can of spaghettis sauce (any flavor you like), chopped up onions, green peppers or other veggies to taste, additional herbs to taste (i.e. rosemary, Italian season mix).
I like to brown and crumble the meat to reduce the fat content (I also boil my meat which also removes alot of the fat – just remember to season it), but sometimes I just do that as part of the defrosting process if the meat is frozen. I have used hamburger or ground turkey, or sometimes I use 1 pound of each.
Pre-heat the oven to 400 degrees.
That’s it. I like to coat the bototm of a casserole dish with a bit of cooking spray to make clean up easier, but you don’t need to do it. Then spread the uncooked macaroni on the bottom of the dish.
Don’t worry, it will cook as the mixture is baking. Then mix up the meat, sauce, chopped up veggies, and additional herbs in a bowl, and spread the mixture on top of the pasta.
Cover the dish with foil or an oven safe cover, and let it bake for 1 hour. While it is cooking, you can take a break, do the dishes, surf the net, make a salad, or catch up on the cable news.
After you take it out, it will be hot, so take off the cover and let it cool for a few minutes before serving, especially if you are serving younger kids. I love to make a 1 dish meal with this because it has pasta, meat, and veggies, but a salad, fruit cup, or applesauce make a nice side dish too. As a mom and working woman, I am a big fan of simple, 1 dish meals
- February 10, 2009 at 10:14 am #414500
I’m a big fan of one dish meals too! Thanks Lynn!
- February 10, 2009 at 10:58 am #414508
I am a big fan of simple, 1 dish meals
my family likes one dish meals also. Thanks
- February 10, 2009 at 9:37 pm #414584
I just made this for supper. It was very good. I melted some mozzarella cheese on top.
YUMMY !!! Thank you for the recipe.
- February 10, 2009 at 9:41 pm #414585
Bet this would be good to use 1 pound of italian sausage and 1 pound of hamburger:038:
- February 10, 2009 at 10:04 pm #414593
I am glad you liked it!!! I have also used Deer meat!!
- February 11, 2009 at 9:14 pm #414731
Thanks, I love recipes for simple, one dish meals. My kids each have to cook one night a week, and these type recipes are good for them.
- February 12, 2009 at 8:24 am #414784
My kids make this as well!! very easy for them 🙂
- February 14, 2009 at 11:17 pm #414827
Thanks. I like the one dish meals and this one sounds really good.
- February 15, 2009 at 1:34 am #414842
This is just like a casserole that my mom made often while we were growing up. It was a family favorite.
- February 15, 2009 at 1:24 pm #414886
Its a nice lazy Sunday – so I am going to make this today and use your suggestion (gizzy) and melt mottz cheese it it 🙂
- February 15, 2009 at 3:28 pm #414915
Mom loved making this!!! Yummy!!!
- April 27, 2009 at 2:24 am #405019
- April 27, 2009 at 3:07 am #420397
My family loves this casserole. I have also added cheese on top.
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.