Viewing 13 reply threads
  • Author

You need: 2 lbs ground meat (i.e. hamburger, ground turkey, etc.) , 1/2 cup of macaroni or similar pasta (I like the high fiber kind), 1 26oz can of spaghettis sauce (any flavor you like), chopped up onions, green peppers or other veggies to taste, additional herbs to taste (i.e. rosemary, Italian season mix).

I like to brown and crumble the meat to reduce the fat content (I also boil my meat which also removes alot of the fat – just remember to season it), but sometimes I just do that as part of the defrosting process if the meat is frozen. I have used hamburger or ground turkey, or sometimes I use 1 pound of each.

Pre-heat the oven to 400 degrees.

That’s it. I like to coat the bototm of a casserole dish with a bit of cooking spray to make clean up easier, but you don’t need to do it. Then spread the uncooked macaroni on the bottom of the dish.

Don’t worry, it will cook as the mixture is baking. Then mix up the meat, sauce, chopped up veggies, and additional herbs in a bowl, and spread the mixture on top of the pasta.

Cover the dish with foil or an oven safe cover, and let it bake for 1 hour. While it is cooking, you can take a break, do the dishes, surf the net, make a salad, or catch up on the cable news.

After you take it out, it will be hot, so take off the cover and let it cool for a few minutes before serving, especially if you are serving younger kids. I love to make a 1 dish meal with this because it has pasta, meat, and veggies, but a salad, fruit cup, or applesauce make a nice side dish too. As a mom and working woman, I am a big fan of simple, 1 dish meals

I’m a big fan of one dish meals too! Thanks Lynn!

Lynn,

I am a big fan of simple, 1 dish meals

my family likes one dish meals also. Thanks

I just made this for supper. It was very good. I melted some mozzarella cheese on top.

YUMMY !!! Thank you for the recipe.

Bet this would be good to use 1 pound of italian sausage and 1 pound of hamburger:038:

I am glad you liked it!!! I have also used Deer meat!!

Thanks, I love recipes for simple, one dish meals. My kids each have to cook one night a week, and these type recipes are good for them.

My kids make this as well!! very easy for them 🙂

Thanks. I like the one dish meals and this one sounds really good.

This is just like a casserole that my mom made often while we were growing up. It was a family favorite.

Its a nice lazy Sunday – so I am going to make this today and use your suggestion (gizzy) and melt mottz cheese it it 🙂

Mom loved making this!!! Yummy!!!

Avatar for faxonfiveKawaiiGiggle
      Participant

@faxonfive 107277 wrote:

I am glad you liked it!!! I have also used Deer meat!!

ya know.. i still haven’t tried deer meat.. ever..

is it good?

My family loves this casserole. I have also added cheese on top.

Viewing 13 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.