- This topic has 11 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated December 7, 2008 at 10:41 pm by .
- November 28, 2008 at 4:44 pm #267158
Saw these at a craft bazaar last month 🙂
18 Gauge copper wire or similar wire that you have on hand
Assorted pretty beads
Needle nose pliers
dowel – or something similar, like a pen, to bend the wire around
Clip off about 4 inches of wire. Find something fat enough to make a hook shape when you wind the wire around it – I used the handle of a paint brush. Bend the wire clockwise to make the hook then, on the straight end, thread on a very pretty bead.
For smaller beads I added three beads with a bigger one in the middle and two smaller beads at each end. For larger beads, like the flag bead, one is enough. I love that flag bead!
When you thread on the last bead, bend the wire so that the beads won’t fall off, as shown in the picture. With something larger than your first dowel or pen, (maybe a magic marker or a highlighter marker) bend a large loop, again going clockwise at first but with the next loops going anti-clockwise, or the opposite way of the first hook at the top.
Make the anti-clockwise loops with needle nose pliers, simply circling the wire in towards the larger loop.
Put a fancy Christmas ornament on the bottom loop and feed it through until it lies on the larger loop. Make several of these for a great homemade Christmas gift.
Fast, easy and it really does look great and one of a kind. Enjoy!
- November 28, 2008 at 5:02 pm #404801
I have a huge stash of beads, this will be a perfect way to jazz up my tree and use up those beads!
- November 29, 2008 at 4:15 pm #404878
I love the way these look on our tree too!!!
- December 1, 2008 at 11:27 am #404991
I also have a big stash of beads. I think I will use this for my GS meeting this month. Thanks!
- December 1, 2008 at 3:48 pm #405022
Thanks Jaime, I used to be a girl scout troop leader. Those girls are fun!!!
- December 2, 2008 at 10:12 am #405062
Lynn, they sure are. We are on year 8 now and they are teens…Ahh!
- December 3, 2008 at 11:52 pm #405238
Wow, teens…that is kewl…our group ranged from 6 year old through 15…that was great!! I loved when we did Christmas caroling at the University of Virginia, while we caroled we asked for canned food donations that we donated to the food bank. Girl scouts really is something the girls look forward too!!
- December 4, 2008 at 10:00 am #405277
Lynn, i love the food donation idea. I will have to run that one by the girls.
- December 4, 2008 at 11:26 pm #405358
Your welcome Jaime!! We also handed out candy canes while caroling … we even had some people stop and carol with us 🙂
- December 5, 2008 at 8:25 am #405386
That sounds like so much fun! Thanks for the great ideas:)
- December 7, 2008 at 10:31 pm #405596
The girls will get alot of joy and Christmas spirit from this also.
- December 7, 2008 at 10:39 pm #405609
Sounds like a good idea for kids to help with!! 🙂
- December 7, 2008 at 10:41 pm #405611
It really is Suey and great keepsakes!!
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.