Budget Menu & Dirt Cheap Recipes Mixes~MYO~Copycat~Etc (Egg-Free) Copycat Pepperidge Farm Chessmen Cookies

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author

To compare them with chessmen: when cut to the same thickness, I have been told they are sweeter and more buttery than chessmen, which is unfortunate if you prefer the subtleties of the original chessmen cookies. They retain the texture of the hard cookie originals when fully cooked, and look similar in structure when snapped with nearly identical layering patterns. The have the same solid, hard texture with a similar melt-in-your-mouth feeling when savored.

Since this recipe is based off of shortbread cookies and not butter cookies, it does not require an egg. You are free to add one to the butter mixture at the beginning, but I was sensitive to eggs at the time I made this recipe, and now that I am diabetic, I do not make this recipe anymore. If you add an egg, you may also need to add more flour.

This may help adjust the flavor so it is more palatable in larger quantities (which is the preferred quantity for eating them if you’ve ever tried them before). Please, feel free to make changes and post in this thread if you have any issues.

• 1 4oz Stick of Salted Butter
      • 6 TBS Granulated White Sugar
      • 1/2 tsp Pure Vanilla Extract
      • 1 Cup Unbleached, All-Purpose Flour

Soften the butter gently in the microwave until it is only just softer than room temperature. It should make a smooth paste when mixed with a fork, but is not liquid and is not completely solid. I have had the best luck with texture when the butter is in this form, but it is not required.

The cookies should taste the same either way.

Cream together softened butter and sugar. Mix in vanilla. Stir in 1 cup of flour, gently kneading to combine after it is fully wetted.

Roll into a log and wrap in wax paper. If you wish to make square cookies, now is the time to do so by tapping each edge onto a flat surface until the shape of the log represents a long rectangle. Place in fridge to firm up, about 10 minutes or so.

Preheat oven to 350○F. Prepare air-bake pan or cookie sheet by placing parchment paper or silicon baking mat onto it.

Slice the log about 6-8mm thick – think the approximate width of a Pepperidge Farm Chessmen cookie. Place on prepared pan and bake until almost golden on edges. Cool on cookie rack, and continue until log is gone.

Makes about 30 cookies.

@GooseArmy 507818 wrote:

To compare them with chessmen: when cut to the same thickness, I have been told they are sweeter and more buttery than chessmen, which is unfortunate if you prefer the subtleties of the original chessmen cookies. They retain the texture of the hard cookie originals when fully cooked, and look similar in structure when snapped with nearly identical layering patterns.

These cookies absolutely taste like the storebought version, but I prefer these when I make my famous banana pudding cake recipe. They break down just right within a few hours and impart a buttery goodness like no other.

Participant

These are my favorite store-bought cookies!

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Budget Menu & Dirt Cheap Recipes Mixes~MYO~Copycat~Etc (Egg-Free) Copycat Pepperidge Farm Chessmen Cookies