Budget Menu & Dirt Cheap Recipes Dump Recipes Easy Chili (requires pre-cooking beef)

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

Easy Chili
      2 pounds ground beef
      1/2 onion, chopped
      1 teaspoon ground black pepper
      1/2 tsp garlic powder
      2 1/2 c. tomato sauce
      1 cup salsa (thick and cheap)
      4 tbsp chili powder
      2 15 oz cans kidney beans (mix dark and light as you want)
      Brown ground beef with onions and some of the chili powder; drain. (If you use high-fat ground beef like I usually do, REALLY drain it!

I have actually rinsed once or twice before, but you just have to test it.) Throw everything in to the crock pot and set for as long as possible. Serve topped with shredded cheddar and saltines or jalapenos as your crowd likes. I have doubled this many, many times for parties and pot lucks.
      I have also made this stove-top several times when I forgot to crock-pot it.

Just brown and drain the ground beef in a large skillet (same one you use for hamburger helper) and add the rest of the ingredients. Cover, let simmer on medium-low for at least a half-hour, longer if possible. This is good for a half recipe when the house isn’t full.
      P.S.

Per the web site where I originally found this recipe (pre-tweaking), here is the nutritional info. Not exactly low-fat or low-carb, but easy and yummy!
      Nutrition Info
      Servings Per Recipe: 8
      Amount Per Serving
      Calories: 504
      Total Fat: 32.4g
      Cholesterol: 96mg
      Sodium: 1277mg
      Total Carbohydrates: 26.8g
      Dietary Fiber: 9g
      Protein: 26.5g

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Budget Menu & Dirt Cheap Recipes Dump Recipes Easy Chili (requires pre-cooking beef)