- This topic is empty.
- April 5, 2021 at 8:33 am #597279mos
Hot Cross Buns
1/2 cup water, warm — 105 to 155°
2 1/4-oz pkg active dry yeast
1/2 cup sugar
1 cup milk, warm — 105 to 115°
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
1/4 cup butter, softened
6 cups all-purpose flour (up to 6 1/2 cups)
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup dried raisins
1/2 cup dried apricots, chopped
For the Egg Wash:
1 egg white
1 tsp waterFor the Lemon Icing:
1 cup powdered sugar, sifted
1 tsp lemon juice, fresh
1 tsp lemon zest
1 1/2 tbs milk
- Pour the warm water into the large bowl of an electric mixer and sprinkle the yeast and 1 tbs of sugar over it. Stir to dissolve and let stand until foamy, about 10 min.
- Add the remaining sugar, warm milk, salt, nutmeg, and butter.
- Add 3 cups of the flour, and using the paddle attachment of the mixer, beat at medium speed until smooth and elastic, about 5 min.
- Beat in the eggs one at a time, beating until smooth after each addition.
- Beat in the vanilla, raisins and apricots and 1 cup more of the flour. Beat until well mixed, about 1 min.
- Add the remaining flour, 1/2 cup at a time, until a soft dough that just clears the sides of bowl is formed.
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured work surface and knead until smooth and elastic, about 5 min.
- Place the dough in a large greased bowl. Turn once to coat the top and cover with plastic wrap. Let rise in a warm place until doubled in volume, about 1 to 1 1/2 hours.
- Punch down the dough. Cover with an inverted bowl and let stand for 10 min.
- Divide the dough into 24 equal portions. Roll each portion into a smooth ball. Place the balls about 1 1/2 inches apart on a greased baking sheet or pan.
- Let the rolls rise until doubled in volume, about 25 to 30 min.
- Preheat the oven to 375°.
- Brush the rolls lightly with the egg wash.
- With a sharp knife, cut a cross no more than 1/2-inch deep in the top of each roll.
- Bake the rolls until golden brown, about 20 to 25 min. Transfer them to a wire rack and let cool.
Make the Icing
- In a small bowl, mix together all of ingredients until well blended.
- Spoon the icing into a party bag fitted with small plain tip, and pipe a cross over the top of each roll.
- Let the buns stand at least 20 min for the icing to set before serving.
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.