Easiest Side Dishes: Glazed Onions, Roasted Glazed Squash, Spinach Cheese Puff

Holidays & Special Occasions Thanksgiving Easiest Side Dishes: Glazed Onions, Roasted Glazed Squash, Spinach Cheese Puff

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      LauraD24

I love thanksgiving time, I love cooking the turkey, the stuffing, and all the side dishes that go along with it. But what I really love is that I finally get the opportunity to have my entire family around me. So what I don’t want to be doing, is spending all of my time in the kitchen while they’re bonding without me.

So here’s my top 3 favorite side dishes made easy.

Glazed Pearl Onions

• 2 teaspoons olive oil
      • 1 pound frozen pearl onions, thawed and patted dry
      • 2 teaspoons sugar
      • Coarse salt and ground pepper
      • 1 1/2 teaspoons fresh thyme (or 1/4 teaspoon dried)
      • 2/3 c water

heat the oil in a skillet until it’s good and hot, add the onions, toss occasionally until they brown a bit. add sugar, s&p, thyme & water. stir occasionally, until onions are tender.

the liquid should evaporate completely, caramelizing the onions.

roasted glazed squash

• vegetable oil, for baking sheets
      • 3 acorn squashes (about 1 1/2 pounds each), halved, seeded, and sliced into 1-inch-thick crescents, skin on
      • 1/2 cup packed dark-brown sugar

Preheat the oven (to 400F). Line a cookie sheet or baking sheet with foil and brush with oil. Place the squash pieces down, not touching on the baking sheet and season with salt and pepper.

Sprinkle generously with brown sugar, Roast in oven for 5-7 minutes (you want the sugar to be melted). Remove from oven, flip over all of the pieces with a fork or tongs, season the other side with s&p and sprinkle the rest of the brown sugar over the pieces. Bake 20-25 minutes

Spinach Cheese Puff (Make this the day before, cover and refrigerate) No Fuss, No Muss

• Butter, for baking dish
      • 3 packages (10 ounces each) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
      • 1 1/2 cups half-and-half
      • 3 large eggs, lightly beaten
      • 1 1/2 cups coarsely grated Gruyere cheese (about 6 ounces) divided in half.
      • 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg

Butter a 1 qrt baking dish.

In a bowl mix spinach, half and half, eggs, 1 c cheese, nutmeg and sal & pepper. Mix well. Spread into buttered baking dish, sprinkle remaining 1/2 c.

cheese on top. Bake at 350F for 30-35 minutes. I always make this one ahead of time so that I don’t have to do anything but bake it.

Happy Thanksgiving! :turkydance1:

GracefulGracie

Thank you so much for sharing these!

Baggz1971

The spinach cheese puff sounds delicious, can it be made with a different type of cheese though??

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Holidays & Special Occasions Thanksgiving Easiest Side Dishes: Glazed Onions, Roasted Glazed Squash, Spinach Cheese Puff