Viewing 11 reply threads
  • Author
      cjsmith45
      Participant

I planted Sweet Basil and Parsley this year and now need to know how to dry them for the winter. Anyone have any suggestion? I dont know

I have dried both of these by hanging upside down till dry, then store in ziploc bags or spice jars, and more recently in my dehydrator on a low setting.

cjsmith45
      Participant

Thanks, I will have to try that. I was thinking it was going to be more complicated.

You can freeze basil using an ice cube tray. First chop the basil then fill each cube then fill with olive oil and freeze. They can be put in a ziplock bag once frozen.

They can be used in sauces or soups.

i like doing all three they all work really well . good luck

cjsmith45
      Participant

I’m going to try hanging the parsley upside down this season and freezing the basil. Being as WalMart just started free layaway until mid December, will be able to get a dehydrator.

HerbLady
      Participant

I normally spread the leaves out between sheets of newspaper and sit them in a sunny spot.

dixiesmom
      Participant

You can also freeze in ice cube trays with water and bag and keep frozen to use as fresh,I like this method to use in salads.

I have just been chopping my herbs and putting them in a Ziploc bag, squeezing out all the air, and freezing. It seems to work out fine, but I haven’t used fresh herbs a lot. Any thoughts on the method I’ve been using?

I have always dried my herbs by microwaving them between paper towels for 20 second intervals. The herbs stay green that way and then I save them in glass jars. The only thing is you have to remove the old twiggy stems like those on oregano or thyme, as they may catch fire.

My mother taught me how to dry them in the microwave. She puts them on a paper plate and microwaves for 10 seconds at a time, with a pause in between to cool them so they dry and don’t cook. When I tried it, I chopped them first, spread them out on the plate, and rotated several plates in the microwave while the others cooled.

They were dry in 2 minutes. They stayed nice and bright green too, and I was able to put them in the jar right away. (I’ve also done the ice cube method, which works well).

(eek — Moderator: I’m not sure if I said 10 seconds, or 10 minutes. It’s supposed to be 10 SECONDS. Sorry.

Can’t see my post to correct this).

Viewing 11 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.